Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the maximum stack size you would push here?
1500 2 16.67%
1350 1 8.33%
1200 0 0%
1050 2 16.67%
900 1 8.33%
750 3 25.00%
600 1 8.33%
450 1 8.33%
300 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: The Value of Human Life (a poll for BigSooner)

How can we be certain that killing a loved one instead of 10 starving kids is the greater good? We can't, not no way, no how. Now that the moral aspect is gone because we can't predict the outcome of our actions in a holistic sense all I ahve left to go on is what serves me best. Therefore, warm up the death-ray.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So a random innocent child's life is worth more to you than the most important person in your life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, and that has nothing to do with it. Do you know what the definition of murder is? Do you even think that murder is morally wrong?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course not, and that has nothing to do with it. Do you know what the definition of murder is? Do you even think that murder is morally wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gun to my brother's head, and a way to take it away that involves no negative consequence to me or anyone I care about...morality doesn't seem to matter much here, does it?

I've proposed a tough choice. Assuming that you must choose, what life(s) is more valuable to you? The answer shocks you, and various forms of the question will eventually prove that the value of life is relative and depends on many factors.

And you, on at least five occasions, have avoided answering the question.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 PM

What if instead the death ray killed 10 vibrant young Americans with bright futures (the key phrase being bright futures)?

And to answer the original question, I could not kill the 10 African children. Can you imagine that on your conscience? I'm an atheist and I couldn't live with myself after that. Sad as life can be we have to play the hand we are dealt. Even if I can ease the suffering it would only be a temporary solution. Come on man, don't you watch movies? You just don't [censored] with fate! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 AM

Pretty sure 85% qualifies as a "vast majority."
Old 11-29-2005, 12:59 AM

This is a shaky argument, because you dont bring iteration into the picture. This is sort of like prisoners dillema. Play prisoner's dillema once, and everyone opts to "tattle." Play an iterated-version of prisoners dillema, and suddenly everyone is alot nicer.

The key is control. If you are the only one choosing, of course you should choose "death ray." But the choices become nicer when more people than yourself have the power.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gun to my brother's head, and a way to take it away that involves no negative consequence to me or anyone I care about...morality doesn't seem to matter much here, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly it does. You're committing murder.

[ QUOTE ]
I've proposed a tough choice. Assuming that you must choose, what life(s) is more valuable to you? The answer shocks you, and various forms of the question will eventually prove that the value of life is relative and depends on many factors.

And you, on at least five occasions, have avoided answering the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

No avoidance here. I've stated five times that if you can't figure out the answer from my posts, then you must be mentally challenged. Is there some kind of followup trap question you want to pose?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure 85% qualifies as a "vast majority."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, pretty sad.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Certainly it does. You're committing murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irrelevant. Choose yes, someone dies. Choose no, someone dies. Which is the lesser of two evils?

[ QUOTE ]
No avoidance here. I've stated five times that if you can't figure out the answer from my posts, then you must be mentally challenged. Is there some kind of followup trap question you want to pose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make that six. Considering what an idiot I've already made of you, you're in no position to call me mentally challenged [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 01:27 AM

I'd go after you too, were it not for the fact that your icon does an important service to this community ^_^