Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Can I work for a Republican

I'm a college student, so all of this should be evaluated in terms of future career options.

I'm a fairly liberal Democrat. I'd like to change the world, but I also need to make some money in the future. I want to work in politics. I've worked for labor unions, elected officials, and several non-profit organizations.

I have an opportunity to work for a moderate Republican who is being challenged by a right-wing nutcase in a primary. The district is solidly conservative and a moderate Republican is the best possible option for that seat. The challenger hates everything I hold dear. Seriously.

If I worked on the campaign, I would have fairly high access to the candidate and could potentially play a positive role. Obviously, this would be a big deal for a college student and I might have a lot of doors opened for me.

However, I am worried that working for a Republican will hurt my future chances for employment. While I'm not a hardcore radical or anything, I do have some ideology. I can't be a Dick Morris or anything like that.

What do you folks think? In particular, what do people who actually work in politics think?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Can I work for a Republican

Don't most proffesional campaign managers work for both parties?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:39 PM

If there's no Dem running, I'd say work for him. Consider it as a way of working against the guy you really don't want in.

You'll begin getting the experience you'll need if you want to pursue politics - as a candidate or strategist. You won't be the first guy who's worked for both parties. Who knows, maybe the guy you work for will see the things you believe in just a little differently. If, that is, he's open minded and listens to someone who's not a sycophant.

The other side is, you might begin to understand him and his beliefs in a different light.

I've worked as a minor league advisor to candidates. I didn't shape policy but sometimes I gave them a new insight or a different way to think about an issue. It also gave me a lot of insight into how the "game" is played. And the real character of the players. In my case it mostly made me cynical.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 AM

Some of them do, but as politics becomes more polarized, it has become out of fashion to work for both.

For the liberalis, is there any moral problem with working for a Republican? Some friends have given me a hard time.

I would be doing media work, not issue advising, so there is always the chance that he will take a really right-wing position and I'll feel stupid.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:32 PM

I think it would be silly of you to pass up a great opportunity to take a first hand look at the inner workings of a political campaign. There is no "moral problem". What you are there to learn about is independent of the actual views of the candidate.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:22 PM

But, in thirty years, when I work on a presidential campaign, will the fact that I worked for Republican in college be used against me?

Are people smart enough to understand the argument you're making?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, in thirty years, when I work on a presidential campaign, will the fact that I worked for Republican in college be used against me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly dont know. I havent worked on any campaigns.

[ QUOTE ]
Are people smart enough to understand the argument you're making?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hope so, but again I dont know for sure. But it just seems this is a good opportunity for you and I would be hesitant to pass it up were I in your shoes.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:24 PM

People are idiots, and all is fair in politics. Anything that can be dragged up, will.

However, if you're not running yourself, I don't think anyone would care. Expect for the people who are fanatical to a religious extent -- which is not the liberals, but the side you'd be working for.

Seems like a safe bet to me.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:44 PM

If you tell them you did that for the job experience and have been a registered Democrat your whole life or whatever, they'll likely take you at your word. Unless you're running for office, it's not a liability.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 PM

Say you were a spy