Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 10:46 PM

Default 99 vs. BB (HU)

I've only just sat down and have no reads. I know people usually over defend their blinds on Party.

Heads up on a flop like this where I'm either ahead or far behind I tend to start calling. My reasoning is that I want him to keep bluffing. A raise on the flop might be better, but a raise on the turn seems a bit much imo.

Advice please.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.16 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>
Old 10-27-2004, 11:06 PM

Default Re: 99 vs. BB (HU)

If you decide on the flop that this is a hand you want to showdown cheaply. Buy a free card on the flop with a raise and save yourself a sb.

I personally think HU, your good here. Id raise the turn.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:24 PM

This is standard. A raise won't get him to fold any of the hands that you'd want him to fold.

However, there are some players who will almost never bet out on a flop like this (an A- or K- high flop) into a preflop raiser. Against one of those guys, you should probably raise somewhere along the line for value.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you decide on the flop that this is a hand you want to showdown cheaply. Buy a free card on the flop with a raise and save yourself a sb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a good plan. The opponent would be very happy to get a free card with a flush draw, or a cheap showdown with 8x.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:49 AM

Okay, help me out here. If someone who almost never bets out into a pre-flop raiser when an ace or king is on the board suddenly decides to, shouldn't I be more worried that he has at least top pair? (Will the player you described call down with top pair because he's worried about his kicker but occasionally bluff or semi-bluff without top pair? If he has top pair, will he go for a check-raise instead of betting out?) I'm confused by your suggestion to raise for value.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, help me out here. If someone who almost never bets out into a pre-flop raiser when an ace or king is on the board suddenly decides to, shouldn't I be more worried that he has at least top pair? (Will the player you described call down with top pair because he's worried about his kicker but occasionally bluff or semi-bluff without top pair? If he has top pair, will he go for a check-raise instead of betting out?) I'm confused by your suggestion to raise for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say that there are some players who will almost never bet in this spot if they actually have top pair, but they will bet with other hands like draws, middle pair, and bluffs.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say that there are some players who will almost never bet in this spot if they actually have top pair, but they will bet with other hands like draws, middle pair, and bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.