Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 11:17 AM

Default After a big cash?

I hit my biggest cash last night... 1K in a small buy in tourney on PS. What happens to most of you guys once you make an above average cash? Stick around your same buy in for tournaments?, lose it all to craps? etc. I hope im being specific enough.
-mike
Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: After a big cash?

[ QUOTE ]
Stick around your same buy in for tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

variance = hell. Just keep playing the same ones, dont move over your head. Maybe take occasional shots.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:54 AM

Congrats!

I don't know what buy-ins you usually play, but as a rule of thumb I try to stay below 2% of my available bank roll for any MTT buy-in.

Variance is a [female canine], and it can be terribly discouraging seeing your bank roll drop 30% - 40% from it's peak; I've been there more than once, and my play actually deteriorates, calling for a substantial overhaul to straighten things up. Confidence is pivotal when you're playing MTTs.

Taking an occasional shot at a bigger buy-in event it probable not a bad thing, if you are aware you're playing over your limit for purely experimental or entertainment purpose (like if you cheaply win a satellite to a $200 MTT), but your bread-and-butter play must be at a level that leaves plenty of room for swings.

Good luck!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 11-05-2005, 12:31 PM

i just do the 5-10 dollar buy in MTT, with the occasional 20 to keep it interesting, ill keep it there for now, thanks for the advice guys.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:13 PM

What I tend to do that some people would never reccomend is play in a bigger buyin (if you typically play 1-10, get a decent cash, play a 50). Most of the time I lose granted, but when you go back to other buyins you won't feel much pressure and IMO I tend to play more solid poker. Then when I take the occasional shot at a 20 game when I typically stick to 1-10 buck games, it doesn't feel like I am risking any more than usual, because I've taken shots at higher buyin tourneys before.

What I've done recently is cashed out most of my account after gambling it up at a few higher than normal buyins, and I am back at square 1 where I was originally, and got a new bankroll at another site that I will devote fully to Omaha8 poker for a change. If I can increase my bankroll up again to 40+ buyins for MTTs, I'll move up the ladder there, and if I get my bankroll 4x the size it is now on my omaha bankroll ($100 starting bankroll there), I'll have increased my poker knowledge into other games and think of myself as a winning omaha player.

I gamble it up sometimes, but don't go crazy with it, its a fast way to blow thru some money.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:50 PM

Personally, I fund my MTT habit by playing sng's. This way, there is very little pressure to money in the MTT's and instead, you can go for the win.

As for moving up, I tend to add a few tournaments into my schedule as I move up in sng's. As a rule of thumb, I will not play a tournament that is bigger than my hourly rate for my sng play.

So say my ROI is approximately 20% on the turbo sng's, and 4 tabling, that's approximately 6 an hour. So if my bankroll suggests that I play $16 sng's, then I won't play a multi that is bigger than $22. Fuzzy math, but a good sanity check.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:51 PM

I'd stick with 5-10 buy-ins, and the 3R if you like Rebuys.. but i'd also have a fun one at a higher level once a week just for fun... a 20 buy-in once a week, or a deepstacks tourney, something different, won't hurt.