Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: is a weak-tight personality good for No Limit?

but, I think tilt hurts you less the shorter you are playing. 3 handed, playing like a tilting maniac is often correct. the same style gets you killed 10 handed.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:04 PM

Some of you may know that I play what I call TAG, but what most of you would call a rock. Im at about 16/4.5 with a 4.0 aggression factor.

I find myself in alot less marginal situations in big pots than most of you guys probably do because I normally have a better starting hand. This may or may not be more profitable, but it definatley gives me less variance which I like.

I will admit though that I still tilt now and then. I was thinking about this driving to work today. I had my best month ever this month, but still, just off the top of my head I can think of about $4K that I lost in what I would call tilt losses.

At least 4-5 times I had a tough hand where I got raised and was thinking "damn it, I cant be beat again here" And as I was sliding the little slider thing all the way to the right, I knew it was a mistake but did it anyway.

I can only imagine how often I would do that if I played more LAG style and was in these marginal spots more often.

My goal for next month is to fold even more than normal.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:05 PM

I think my winrate would be as much as 100% higher if I didnt have tilt issues, by far my biggest leak.

Kane why dont you try alternating 18/7 and 23/12 each for a week each at a time. I think that maybe if you just suddenly switch to 18/7 likely your winrate will go up but this could be that you're still feeding off the fact that players in your game are used to your 12% pfr, and that if you stick with the 7% the winrate will gradually drop then level out.

Other possibilities, why not 8-table and on the 4 tables on the LHS you play 23/12 and the RHS you play 18/7. That way you'll probably play the lag tables a lot better, and there's a good chance villians multitabling with you will fail to calibrate your pfr range correctly - lots of their stats will be screwed up, your pfr should average at 9.5%, which is never going to be right.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:07 PM

I've tried weak-tight and tried lag and at the end of the day even with plays that look like serious tilt lag is much more profitable. Weak-tight is awesome if you want to make a little cash and not experience much variance but if the players adjust correctly you are not going make any money without the second nuts or higher and those type of hands don't happen very often. I don't know how many times that "I've been on tilt" and been able to stack someone off when I have second or third pair. People adjust very poorly to lag players. Usually I will hit runs of cards where I stack off 2-5 buy-ins but at the end of the day my BB/100 has doubled. I'll take that variance any day for twice the win rate. Oh and another thing its a hell of lot more fun.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:45 PM

nits are greatly restricted in their game selection. lags are somewhat restricted intheir game selection. the very best games profit wise (HU 3 and 4 handed) must be played lag.

good playes with both modes get to play in the best games always, and therefore are best.

fim
Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 PM

If you find the holy grail here Kane, please let me know because I have the same problem. I play a lot of SH 5-10 and 10-20 and I play very LAG. My only observation is the following. I think that there is a close relationship for a lot of people between tilt and ego. This results in at least two problems. First, if you are 3-handed and you have dropped two buy-ins to inferior players, the temptation to try and "run the game over" can be overwhelming if you don't keep your ego in check.

Second, if you can't admit that other players are as good or better than you, you sometimes will find yourself in SH games without any weak players. In order to play SH effective, you have to be aggressive. Period. In a three or four handed game, if everyone is playing with optimal aggression, the opportunity for variance (and occasional big losses and tilt) is extremely high. Tilting against weak players is one thing. Tilting against strong players is something else entirely. I watched a regular high stakes player lose 8 buy-ins in an hour in a 25-50 game because he went on monkey tilt against players that really knew how to take advantage (i.e. players that weren't afraid to gamble).

I think that the answer in both cases is that you have to be willing to get up from the table the moment you start to lose control and you have to stay out of games that don't have at least one soft spot. SH no limit isn't a gunfight. You don't have to take on all comers.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:56 PM

I find when I try to change my style to weaker/tighter game, I just end up playing my normal aggressive lag game after a awhile, unless you're just referring to preflop only.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:35 PM

There is beauty in playing at the speed of a hurricane while being as calm as a breeze.

I think that is the final balance. People say there is no emotion in poker but people either start off aggressive or passive because of their personalities nature and never usually change it, fully, sure they get more aggressive or they bluff less but they never fully change. Yet there is obviously one style that is more profitable than another for a certain game. In the 15/30 and 30/60 limit i was def. more passive than the circle jerk midhigh crowd but at $2k nl i am def looser and more aggro than the multitablig reg crowd.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:38 PM

i find i play my best when i move up or take a shot at a level, because im cautious. that sense of caution which weakt tight people is always good, as long as it doesnt override everything else.

when i take shots in bigger games i play great, the amount of money is greater so im more cautious but i can still play good poker because after all i am there to make a score and by now i have learnt to gamble. when i 4 table my usual midlimit online game that caution is not in the back of my mindand i can get myself destacked with greater ease. kane i know what you mean but i suck at articulating things online.

i dont play particularly laggy, but when i try to i wonder how people can do it for a long time and for a large # of hands. especially online multitabling. its a ton of stress, and that might lead to more tilt for lag players.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:58 PM

Funny, it seems you guys are under the impression that there are only two ways to play:weak-tight or loose aggressive. Isn't the answer to this post the one I recieved so many times on my early posts-"It Depends"?
I am trying to learn to play more loose aggressive but I think the table, your opponents, flop texture, etc, etc etc. determine what style will be most profitable. I'm a long way from this ability, but ideally I'd like to play all styles along the spectrum from tight to loose and passive to aggressive equally well, mixing them up and applying them to the situation at hand