Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: True microw challange 1k in 60 days

Wearing your littlish girlfriend's clothes you might want to re-evaluate who you call bitch. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As to LAGgy 6max, toss up a post, I'm in.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:43 PM

At this point I have to conclude that I do not know how to play 6-max. I'm only about 8k hands in, so it's possible I'm just running bad.

What day did this thing start? What's the max limit allowed? I presume this is just 1000 (or 2000) BB in 60 days, right?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:05 PM

Session 2 not nearly as awesome as one but still solid

Session 2 (Day 1)
332 Hands
up $13.55
4.1BB/100

Overall on the challenge
made $53.35
Left to go $446.65

But I am going to the beach for the weekend so I will not post again till at least Sunday. Good luck to you all have a great weekend
Old 08-17-2005, 08:44 PM

Well, my micro challenge came to an end tonight.

I ran -13bb/100 over 200 hands at 2/4 before getting fed up and quitting. After lunch, I was ready to play some more but couldn't get a table. I decided to play a SNG and after about 90 minutes of work, finished 2nd. Neither of these are alright with me, so I have three options.

-Keep plugging away at 1/2 like a tool, crushing the game but cutting my hourly rate (I could make a lot more at 2/4 or 3/6)
-Play SNGs where my ROI might be 20%, which means I'd make $2 per tournament. Not my idea of fun right now.
-Wait 17 hours for a 2/4 seat. Seriously, Stars, how hard is it to open enough tables during the daytime to cover the demand? At one point there were more people in the waitlist (13) than at the [censored] table (10), how in the hell does that happen? How hard is it to just open another table? When I decide it's time to play poker, I am going to PLAY POKER, not waitlist myself then get a nap. Oh I can't wait until I get home and get to use Party again, where they actually open damn tables.

My micro challenge is over, good luck all.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Cosimo

for me it is 1000 bb is 60 days and to get me motivated to play more hands this is day 4 for me so if u wanted to challange yourself just post what your trying to do in the micros and keep us updated
Old 08-17-2005, 10:35 PM

Default day 4 :(

it was just depressing
310 hands
$ won 4.57

at least i was running simi hot for the first three days

i need to logg some big hands befor the weekend b.c ill be gone for it all. ugh
Old 08-18-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: day 4 :(

Warning: I'm mostly talking to myself here.

I think sharing the goal with someone is good motivation, but that could be all wrong. From what I remember of extrinsic motivations, they're bad -- unless they coincide with the task at hand. Putting in hands because you want to "impress your internet buddies" (to spin it negatively) will make you not want to play for your own sake.

So what's the best way for me to motivate myself to play? What motivations can I devise that reward play itself? The thing is, play itself (for the winning player) is the reward. Poker pays.

I remember when Schnieds (sp?) and Gonores were first doing their quests, these questions came up. Basically the challenge was framed as a research test: can you handle playing that much for two months? Will you burn out? What's the best way to motivate yourself? The challenge is not to get the hands in (which is possible but leads to burnout, possibly early burnout), but to figure out how to motivate yourself.

This actually just leads me to want to create a blog. =]

I'm already on the monthly hand challenge. Is it working, or am I just getting the hands in because I want to play? I think the challenge is truly secondary. I stopped playing during the middle of a previous challenge mostly cuz I was getting burned out by downswings. I lost money over the last 10k hands -- but I still played on, after losing for 1k, 2k, 3k, etc. I'm playing tonight. So maybe I'm over that.

OK, so my point here is: good luck on your challenge. I think I've convinced myself that I don't want another challenge, although I might be interested in testing the bounds of my patience. I am also tempted to start up a blog.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 PM

goal motivations & blogs are connected, too, from what I've seen. Start a blog if the extrinsic motivation of having to write it and maintain it coincides with...well, with what? With getting yourself to talk aloud and analyze your game? Or...?

A good blog is good regardless of how many (how few) others read it or comment on it. But a bad blog (where entries are low content and irregular) just sucks. So if having a blog will positively motivate you, go for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 01:03 PM

This is an interesting point. One thing I've found is that the short challenges (the 15BB Challenge, for instance, where you're limited to 3 hours of play) really tend to help me focus on the hands I'm playing, maximizing value from those hands, etc. They usually have me 1-tabling, too, which I don't think is a bad thing.

The $1K in 60 days, or best BB/100 over 30 days -type challenges, for me, turn into a grind, and that's not what I'm here for. I play games for fun. I switched from a lot of Yahoo! Euchre/Hearts/Backgammon/Checkers/etc. to poker, because I figured I'm putting the time in, anyway, why not pull out a tangible benefit (like the new golf clubs I bought yesterday). Anything that increases that benefit without diminishing the fun is a good thing. Anything that makes it a "job" is a bad thing.

(As a side note, I find clearing bonuses to be extremely wearing, but since I'm getting a "salary" for it [$100/1k hands, or about $20-25/hour] I don't mind letting it be a "job" for a few hours a month.)
Old 08-18-2005, 09:40 PM

i do not find this as a grind it motovates me to play more hands so i can look at PT status to see my big leaks, the 1000$ is going to be my starting roll for my next level
o well
time to start day 5