Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 02:05 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Staking someone in the same game

If he can't afford it, he shouldn't play. I'm not so sure i'd be comfortable playing in a game where 2 guys are both off the same stake. Would you be? How would you make it more comfortable for the other players? That's a prime question that should be addressed.

Sorry, but it's just not a team game.

b
Old 09-16-2004, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't asking for strategy changes-- I know the strategy if I want to maximimize my EV because I am playing against my own money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you were.

[ QUOTE ]
I was asking if there was any way to either eliminate or minimize the impact of having half my own money in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same thing as what you said you weren't asking for.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:24 PM

I was asking if there is any way to make it so that I do not have an inherent advantage in the game by playing against my own money and you responded with a strategy to abuse the fact I was playing against my own money.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:29 PM

The whole discussion is moot because my friend decided to put up the whole buy-in after all. However this got me thinking about team play in games. How is this situation different than two people who have an unspoken agreement to soft play each other?

I guess my original conception of collusion is the boring raise it up and check it down kind, but there are many other more subtle forms of collusion that are very difficult to detect. I had not realized this until I started thinking about how to try to manipulate this situation so I did not have an advantage.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi everyone,

If the stakee is heads up with the staker, then the stakee does not get any return on every bet going into the pot. If he bets, and is called and wins he just gets his bet back. If he loses, he loses half the bet. So a bet heads up has no positive expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he bets and gets called he wins half a bet. If he bets and loses he loses half a bet. Whether it's against a staker or anyone else just doesn't matter. You're not counting it right.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:18 PM

parttimepokerdotcom's idea isnt too bad. if he's decent, just call the money even and make a deal with the profits.

my friend does this with me constantly, as i'm a decent enough player but i'm almost always poor (not because of poker as much as because of a love for broken cars). some nights he's bankrolled me and i've gone broke, but we work it out ahead of time and there's no hard feelings. i've also come out ahead when he's behind, and then its just my turn to buy pool and beers later.