Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 11:34 PM

Default I\'m joining NORML.

the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

I need a new supplier - should meet some there [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No, seriously - the more I read and get educated, the more it infuriates me that there's some religious dickhead who wags his finger in my face and says I shouldn't smoke when alcohol and tobacco kills/harms so MANY more people.

What if tobacco smokers could migrate to weed via vaporizer? - What about people like me who use it as a surrogate for alcohol because it doesn't have the addictive qualities of alcohol.

All the arguments about it being a gateway drug or causing paranoia or isolation go away with legalization - farmers get the benefits of growing hemp in the off season -

I'm getting pissed - it's not enough to merely deal with civil disobedience - I need to do something. If I believe it's actually more beneficial for society to have it legal, then I should be doing something to make it so, not sitting on my ass playing Xbox and enjoying all the benefits for myself.

RB
Old 10-22-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: I\'m joining NORML.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:39 PM

Good move.

What's really disgusting is we've had two druggies in a row in office, and both of them denied it and tried to step up the drug wars and drug hysteria. Talk about an asinine political structure.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:40 PM

i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the affects of pot, just how much money has already been spent (trying) to keep it out
Old 10-23-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the affects of pot, just how much money has already been spent (trying) to keep it out

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, the government is not going to just up and abandon a war on drugs it has already invested $X Trillion in.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:08 AM

Good for you whiskey,

Most people who beleive in legalization are too apathetic to do anything about it.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about people like me who use it as a surrogate for alcohol because it doesn't have the addictive qualities of alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agreed with your entire post except this part. marijuana can create addicts too, but the comparison to alcohol is good, as in my semi-educated on the subject opinion alcohol seems to be just as harmful if not more than marijuana.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:19 AM

right....

there's not a single argument that can be made against marijuana that can not be solved by two things.

1. - the decriminalization of marijuana. (again, we're talking issues like it being a gateway drug, paranoia, and the idea that it creates an isolated person....these aren't as a result of the drug, it's a result of the circumstances in which it has been forced to operate under - change the circumstances and all these issues go away.
2. - a responsible plan in place to regulate it. Obviously we know that no developing brain should be exposed to substances like alcohol or marijuana - it interferes with physical and emotional development so it should not be legal for consumption till 18 or 21. You should not be allowed to drive after smoking it. I have no problems with not allowing public consumption - (we don't let people walk on the streets with shots of Jag. or whiskey - we enforce open container laws) - it can be handled responsibily like any other controlled but legal substance.

I have some concerns obviously. For one, I actually believe if it's decriminalized that some tobacco companies or other corporations who start selling it will add additional ingredients to it to enhance it's addictiveness, just as they did with cigarettes. But by and large, I believe society would benefit.

and I know from personal experience there is NO WAY it can be as bad as alcohol. No one can quote me differently because not only do I have the facts to back up my opinion, I also have personal experience. Every person who says weed is bad but still drinks or smokes is a hypocrite for starters.

RB
Old 10-23-2005, 12:20 AM

Marijuana creates addicts like shopping creates addicts or chocolate creates addicts or playing Nintendo creates addicts, though. Some people will build up a psychological dependency on anything. It's different with something like alcohol or nicotine.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:50 AM

I may be one of the few 40 year-olds who has never used marijuana. Nonetheless, it is clear that marijuana is a relatively safe drug when used in moderation, and is safer than alcohol, or any other recreational drug, legal or otherwise.

This does NOT mean that I advocate it's use, but it is clear that the money spent on interdiction and prosecution would be much better spent on other endeavors.