Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: results oriented results--no peeking

Thinking that a really good player would have found a way to drag the pot is likely to be costly. I've seen my own evolution or learning curve as I've played and studied our beloved game and it appears to me most players go through a similar progression. At one point where I became convinced that I could outplay my regulars I started trying to make moves in these sorts of situations. Unfortunattely, most of the time if we are playing against inferior players, their primary mistake is calling to much and too far. If you are against several people who call too much it's generally futile to try to make a move. The way you beat these games is to wait until you are in the lead and make them pay. If you are not catching cards, all you can do is minimize your losses, be patient, and know that if you stay the course you will come out ahead eventually.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:43 PM

Default this message has been brought to you by softrock. n/m

Old 01-29-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: 66 on the button

Fold on the flop. You should raise this hand preflop after 4 limpers at a passive table!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:25 PM

Guys are cold-calling raises with pocket sixes on a 9s3s2h board? Wow, that is a great game.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:12 PM

On the flop you are either slightly ahead* or way behind.

Terrible cold call.

al

*slightly ahead doesn't mean the favorite to take the chips either
Old 01-29-2004, 03:42 PM

I have a straight *and* a flush draw?

; )

A long session that had me searching for clues. I did misplay an overpair, and missed an obvious value bet on *2* other hands -- but I know I did that wrong, so I find myself reviewing routine situations, looking for answers. Maybe I should spend more time thinking about the hands I "know" I played wrong, investigating the MetaPhysick of My Fishiness.

Anyhoo, I would have folded for one bet on the flop, and I would have checked the flop if it had been checked to me, and my tummy hurts.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:56 PM

Well, I've raised here, but that doesn't mean I think it is right. In fact I suspect it is wrong. When I say passive 10/20, I don't mean to imply that 6 people will check to the button because he looked at his hand preflop with determination, or that a limp re-raise in this spot isn't too far-fetched. In the present hand, think of how huge a mistake a flop fold would have been -- or perhaps not, as 5 people may have coldcalled with an overcard to the 9. Who knows? I don't think it is a clear raise.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:59 PM

If I had seen the turn, the Jd would have seemed like a pretty good card for me, otherwise I agree with you.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Re: results oriented results--no peeking

Good advice. I was aware of the results-orientedness here, but needed a reality check, if you've ever caught yourself staring longingly at KTo maybe you'll see where I was coming from.