Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Post flop analysis revisited

I wanted to revisit Perg's hand analysis on this hand that was posted last night. His comments were a gold mine of valuable infomation IMO and remarkably ignored from our forum which doesn't discuss much in the way or NL post flop play or perspective.

Here is the OP.

I look forward to reading each reply and here is Perg's post:

Quote:

I figured MP2 for sure didnt have AK, so I'd throw in a CR on the flop

Ideally he WOULD have AK, so he'll CB and you pwn him and take the pot right there. What hands does he raise preflop and then bet the flop that you beat? Probably around the same number of hands that beat you...but it'll be an expensive endeavor to figure out which he has.

Quote:

then button raised before I could, and I turned into a pussy calling station. Was this call okay?

No. This is a draw heavy board, and you absolutely must protect your hand if you want to play. Decide if you're good or not, and then raise all-in or fold based on that. As a basic guideline, when I have no info as to where I stand and I have two opponents showing aggression, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Quote:

Is the blocking bet on the river appropriate?

No, and I think the previous action should make this clear. MP2 took control preflop. Button took it from him on the flop. Then MP2 decided to take it back on the turn. Meanwhile, you're stuck in the middle with no clue what's going on. With this power struggle occurring around you, do you really think you can step in with a weak hand on the river and it won't get raised? Fat chance.

Last, I think you need to recognize early on when it's going to be bad for you to continue in the hand. When the lead changes three times on three streets, that ought to be a huge warning signal that choppy waters lie ahead, and you'll need to really like your hand to continue.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Post flop analysis revisited

Yeah, misplayed on every street. I just now saw this, otherwise I would have replied earlier. Great input perg, I appreciate it.