Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Interesting 89s Line -- Hrmm...

Thinking about my last post I realised it was a pile of poop.

I thought about the hand again.

Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] a drawing hand in the SB. He couldn't be more OOP.

First consideration when you get a hand is it's possible strengths and weaknesses. If you should play the hand, why, and what are you looking for ? with this hand you want to hit the flop hard. Period. you want at least two pair/flush/straight draw.

Second consideration. Position. If you folded here it would probably be soft but not bad. For 5 chips though its worth the gamble.

The flop. No good. You have a weak pair, no real kicker and no real draw to speak of. You have achieved none of the objectives this hand requires for optimal play. You are now looking to
a) dump the hand - check/fold
or
b) try and steal the 75 chips in the pot - bet/fold

Turn - assumes you have chosen option a - hence you should fold. You have no reason to call here. Fold. If you want to continue in the hand you should raise if only so you're not operating in the vacuum you're currently in.

River - You shouldn't be here knowing as little as you do about the other players hands unless you want to throw some more chips down the drain.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Interesting 89s Line -- Hrmm...

[ QUOTE ]
I think I might checkraise the turn to t100. This early, you do not want to get a lot of chips in without a big hand. It may seem that checkraising just makes a bigger pot, but in actuality is reduces the number of chips that go in later, and therefore you risk less chips overall. After just calling, if you don't improve, your river decision will be difficult. If a card lower than 8 hits, betting out at the river puts you in the position of only being called by hands that beat you. If you check the river, villian will likely increase his bet size. Since it is likely neither of you improved, and you thought your hand was good on the turn (you called drawing mighty thin if you thought you were behind), you would likely have to call a t125 river bet. Also, if an overcard to a 10 or higher hits, you have a problem with knowing where you are at and have to act out of position.

By turn checkraising, hands that you beat will fold, taking away the tricky situation on the river. Big hands that were slowplaying will defintely reraise, and you can toss your middle pair without a second thought. When he just calls you can shut down unimproved, but if you do improve bet out to get paid off with your newly big hand.

Well, that's my logic. Please let me know if I'm a complete idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

check raising 2 players sucks. what if one of them calls, and a 2 comes on the river. do you bet? do you check? it doesnt change the situation at all, it just makes the pot bigger, which you dont want. im gonna be an ass and play results here.. say you check raise to 100, villian calls, then the 8 pops on the river, you fire out 225 he shoves, you pretty much have to call. goodbye stack. i duno i just dont really like a check raise, if i didnt break it down well enough with words.. i duno i just woke up im tired. checkraising turn sucks thats all i got holla