Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 PM

Default OT: Poker as a temporary/summer job, advice needed

Hi guys,

I was looking forward to this summer, and had a few questions.

First off, a bit of background: I'm currently a little bit into my first year of law school. It occurs to me that after I graduate from law school, I'm going to get a job at some firm, start grinding out 60-70 hours a week, and am never again (until I'm an old fart) going to have a long period of time to just travel and sort of "find myself."

I've been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to travel around Europe a fair bit. However, I've never had the opportunity to travel around this country. And I think I'd like to do so.

So I was thinking I'd like to get a 30-day rail pass and freakin see the States. And I thought what many people before me have likely thought. -- I've got a laptop, so I can make money from anywhere playing poker on the internet.

You're probably bored already, so I'll get to the questions:

Probably most important question: I've only played about 700 SNGs, at the $11/$22 level. My ROI is a very underwhelming 15%. I acknowledge the fact that I definitely have leaks. The question is: Can I believe that I'm a winning player to the extent that I could use it as a job for a month, bearing in mind that, if things really get ugly (and I get desperate), my parents can absolutely bail me out and get me a plane ticket back?

Is there any way to take rail around the US in a railcar that has wireless internet access as you travel? I've looked and not found any.

Has anyone done something like this before? If so, did you enjoy it? What things should I expect, etc.?

Another important question: Assuming I wanted to play the $22s as I traveled, what would be a proper bankroll, bearing in mind I could only 4-table and bearing in mind I would be cashing out intermittently to pay for stuff?

To any law students/attorneys out there: Am I making a big fuss out of nothing? Will I have plenty of time to travel before I become an old grump?

I can't think of any other questions off the top of my head. I might as I (hopefully) get a couple responses here.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: OT: Poker as a temporary/summer job, advice needed

Seriously, never give up a chance to travel. You never know when you'll get the oppuntunity again. If you're confident in the 15% roi, work out if that is enough money and you'll play enough games. If that is the case you have to go for it. Good Luck
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 AM

What's your bankroll?

20 or more buyin downswings happen. Personally, I would reccommend keeping enough extra $$ to buy my own ticket home, if need be.

If you haven't already, give bonuswhoring a try. Can even travel while you do it.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your bankroll?

20 or more buyin downswings happen. Personally, I would reccommend keeping enough extra $$ to buy my own ticket home, if need be.

If you haven't already, give bonuswhoring a try. Can even travel while you do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my bankroll is kind of fluid because I frequently (and recently) cash(ed) out. If you're asking how much I'm up playing poker, it's around $2,000. Right now I have no money in my PP account -- I have a few bucks on Stars and Noble that I use to screw around on the weekends when I have free time. Law school is pretty demanding.

However, one of the questions in this thread is what sort of bankroll would be required. So I guess you are just begging the question =) I'm asking what my bankroll is (or should be) also.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:07 AM

Just for the 22s, I would play with a minimum of 1000.

In addition you are gonna want to have some money you can access during the trip.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:08 AM

About to go to sleep. Gonna bump this in the morning for the day crew. I hope to hear from a couple of people who may have done this sort of thing, even if they didn't necessarily travel whilst doing it. But especially from anyone who has travelled.

I appreciate the two of you who already took the time to give advice =)
Old 10-04-2005, 01:46 AM

If I relied on poker to put food in my mouth and transportation under my feet everyday I'd probably die.

Some can do it.

I can't.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:54 AM

You're very likely to have a chance to travel: one terrific spot is after you graduate and before you start working. I don't know where you're in law school or what your general career plans are, but I was able to take about six months between the last day of the bar exam and my first day of permanent work. But your idea is a good one. Almost nobody cares what you do after your 1L summer; it's your 2L summer that matters. By the way (as if you don't know this already), 1L grades matter a great deal.

A couple of other thoughts: a judicial clerkship after law school gives you another break point, and some people I know have used that as an excuse to travel. Also, very few people stay at one firm or one job for their entire legal career, and that can provide a good opportunity as well.

I can't answer wireless questions. I'm an old grump whose technical preferences remain antedeluvian.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:33 AM

Here is some advice that I think will help...

I decided to play pro poker this summer and my parents, in turn, decided to cut me off completely. I had about $1k in monthly expenses back in July when I started (note: my parents live in Jersey and I live and go to school in Baltimore). I had 3k to my name to start out my career and I spend half that on a new computer setup so I could 8 table. My ROI was 11% in 1200 11s and 18% in 600 22s before I started my 'pro' career. I spent a ton of time improving my game and after August I was $8k richer (about $42/hour) 8 tabling the 22s and 33s. I ended up spending about $2k per month because I like to live a lavish lifestyle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ...The freedom was great... I am really looking foward to doing the same thing you plan on.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:11 AM

Here's my advice. Have a nice backup plan of taking out a loan for your one month of needed money. If you're going to law school, I'm certain you'll be able to pay it off someday.

And if you don't need the loan, great.