Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: make a big call?

Block bet river. Honestly what do you think his range is here? I dont put him on the five unless hes playing 45 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s
Old 08-30-2005, 07:34 PM

I really hate the idea of a blocking bet ehre.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:37 PM

Since our read on villain is he was on a draw, his draw has either hit or (more likely) missed. What does a bet accomplish?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:57 PM

OK, so far it seems that everyone thinks I should call. Maybe I should clarify my read a bit. In pokertracker, villain was 65/28/2.5. I'd seen him bet and raise lots of pots, with a lot of different hands. I'd never seen him get caught in a big bluff at the river though. Is it good to assume that this type of opponent often bluffs this river? I've found that the great majority of players at 2/4 often check their busted draws, declining the bluff.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:53 PM

Given villain's stats he does not seem the type of player to just check/check after you showed an obvious lack of confidence on the river. He believes he can snatch the pot with a sizable bet.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Results

I called quickly. He had J5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Oh well, good call at least it seems.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Results

How big does a block bet have to be to be considered a block bet?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Results

Something like 1/3-1/2 the pot. This is a horrible spot for it tho. A better spot would be with something like tptk, when the river is a third flush card that paired the board. I think... I am not much of a block better. Maybe not... There shuld probably also be a missed draw that that he would bluff, and you don't want to call... Hum, someone explain this better, please.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd never seen him get caught in a big bluff at the river though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be the most telling thing here. How often have you seen a big overbet by this guy on the river get called, and how often has it been the nuts or close to the nuts? One of the key things I take notes on is this. Stuff like "bet 2x the pot on the river with a rivered straight" I usually will let someone else make a big call of this guy so i can get information, but _most_ people arent pushing the rivers on bluffs....takes a certain player to do it...there are ones that i'll call a river push against on a board like this, but they are few and far between.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd never seen him get caught in a big bluff at the river though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be the most telling thing here. How often have you seen a big overbet by this guy on the river get called, and how often has it been the nuts or close to the nuts? One of the key things I take notes on is this. Stuff like "bet 2x the pot on the river with a rivered straight" I usually will let someone else make a big call of this guy so i can get information, but _most_ people arent pushing the rivers on bluffs....takes a certain player to do it...there are ones that i'll call a river push against on a board like this, but they are few and far between.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that is why I posted this. I mostly agree with you. It seems that a lot of people don't though.
It should be noted that this was the first session I've played with this guy, and opportunities for big river bluffs don't come along that often, and also big river bets are pretty rarely called.