Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Winning sessions

my winning sessions at .5/1 is about 48%, but I am still winning at about 4BB/100 (not saying anything about winrate here, only that im winning over 10k hands with less than 50% winning sessions) Is this abnormal or nothing to worry about, or a product of small sample size? amybe I have a lot of short sessions where I lost like 1BB and then had to go or something.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Winning sessions

It doesn't matter. I've had "sessions" where I played one orbit, paid the blinds, and left.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:26 PM

Your whole poker career should be like one big session. The end of the session is when you put the deck away for good. Some parts of this big session will be winning big, and other parts of this session will be losing your shirt. Remember, poker is about the long run.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your whole poker career should be like one big session. The end of the session is when you put the deck away for good. Some parts of this big session will be winning big, and other parts of this session will be losing your shirt. Remember, poker is about the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Winning sessions? There are such things as winning sessions? I've heard rumours, but...

You'll probably be at ~50% +- a few points if you're taking about PT rather than multiple-table sessions (all poker played between such and such a time) or daily totals. All stopping points are arbitrary, so you shouldn't read too much into it.

It makes no difference whether you play your next hand 5 seconds from now or tomorrow or next week. It's still your next hand and the cards have no memory.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:04 PM

thats what I was thinking, but i wanted to make sure that it wasnt a statistic that can be used in conjunction with other stats.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:59 AM

Let's say you play 150 hands at a table. 10k hands would be about 60 sessions. 50% of that is 30 and 55% is 33, so you're talking +- 3 sessions here.

Statistically meaningless.

Over 327 sessions, I'm at 54.7%, and from what I've read here that's average.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:52 AM

BB/100 is far more important than winning sesssion %.......actually correct play and table selection are the key to winning.

I multitable and whilst I admit to being all too aware of whether Im ahead or behind on any particular night I am not the least bit concerned as to what my session %age was and neither should you be (but I also think you know this and are just putting out a feeler to see what others think so thats all good too)

Anyway perhaps your sesssion %age is low (if it really is even low) because you are making good table selection and are leaving a table when you realise its bad....and thats a good thing. Even at the nanos where I play, if I see a table all of a sudden fill with guys with low VPIPs and high PRF then Im outta there too even if Im behind on that session.

from a personal standpoint Im working on fully applying the "one big session" theory.........Im getting the distinct impression that the maturity/skill of a poker player can be judged by their ability to follow this to the letter and not do the following
a) tilt
b) go passive
c) turn into a LAG with high %wenttoshowdown

now if I could just take my own advice about "one long session".....something Im working on.........