Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-05-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Variation between limits

Do most people experiance significant changes in terms of SD, BB/100 etc as they go through the limits? I am asking because I was crushing .5/1 for 5 BB/100 and now am only beating 1/2 for about 1.25. From looking at my stats I have gotten significantly tighter and more agressive. My VPIP went from 18 to 15 and my PFR went from 6 to 8. Maybe my agression is to blind and not controlled enough? Players at .5/1 seem to call with anything, is this not true with 1/2? I would like to post my PT stats, but I don't know how. If someone could help me out, that would be awsome.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Variation between limits

What hands did you stop playing that made your vp$ip go down? I would say that it's possibly sample size and possible that you are still adjusting to the new game. Also the players are definitely better at 1/2, you're bb/100 is likely going to be lower.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do most people experiance significant changes in terms of SD, BB/100 etc as they go through the limits? I am asking because I was crushing .5/1 for 5 BB/100 and now am only beating 1/2 for about 1.25. From looking at my stats I have gotten significantly tighter and more agressive. My VPIP went from 18 to 15 and my PFR went from 6 to 8. Maybe my agression is to blind and not controlled enough? Players at .5/1 seem to call with anything, is this not true with 1/2? I would like to post my PT stats, but I don't know how. If someone could help me out, that would be awsome.

[/ QUOTE ]

how many hands for each?

you should not have to radically change your game for .5/1 --> 1/2.

in general, as your winrate goes down your SD will go up.

i cannot yet comment meaningfully on your particular situation w/o knowing more. but, yes, it is very common to have lower winrates at higher limits for many reasons -

1. sticker shock (double stakes leads to timid/weird play)
2. more better opponents winning more from you
3. less worse opponents feeding your winrate
4. both 2 and 3 leading to unmasking leaks in your game that you didn't know about/care about at .5/1
5. various psychological issues people commonly have about new games/limits/winrates/expectations/etc...
Old 08-05-2005, 01:11 PM

You are going to need to make some adjustments to your game every time you move up a level; how your win rate is affected is just a question of how well you adapt.

It's been a while since I played .50/1 (at least, seriously), but I do know that 1/2 can be a difficult level to adjust to, particularly when the site is offering a bonus. A lot of part/time players just chase bonuses, and 1/2 is the level that many of them use to get their raked hands requirement; while these players are not world class pros, they are better (mostly just tighter) than the average Party donk.

You also have to take sample size into account. If you only played 5k or 10k hands at .50/1, then the 5 BB/100 could be partially a result of running well or running into a lot of really bad opponents. If you've only played a few thousand hands of 1/2, the lower win rate is statistically insignificant--cold cards, lucky suckouts, and just the period of adjustment to the new level can easily explain the difference over such a small amount of hands. From a mathematical standpoint, you literally need hundreds of thousands of hands at a given level before you can determine your true win rate with any degree of certainty; before that point you can make a general estimate (5 BB/100 over 10k hands almost definitely shows that you're a winning player, but your true win rate could be several BB/100 higher or lower).

I haven't had a big drop in my win rate as a result of moving up to new levels thus far, but I have had pretty big swings just based on simple variance. It is not at all uncommon to suffer through streaks involving tens of thousands of hands where you're winning at a much lower rate than usual (or even losing). This is regardless of how good a player you are.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:25 PM

personally I think it is a combo of 2 things. I think I was significantly luckier at .5/1 than I am currently at 1/2. Other than that though, I think I either have uncovered a leak or althogether created one because of my .5/1 play. My went to SD % is much higher at 1/2, my win % at SD is lower, and my fold to river bet is lower. All of these show to me that I am facing more agression at 1/2 and not believe what they are telling me. At .5/1 I was ALWAYS king of the table, and when I got raised it always meant a fish just hit the nuts. At 1/2 there are actually players who raise top pair and raise AK PF. IMAGINE THAT. After datamining I have come to the conclusion that luck has played some factor, (AA has won a good 35% less at 1/2 than at .5/1) But I think that I also might be spewing on the later streets with UI AK or JJ on a board with 2 overs. On the other hand I think that I have become tighter and more agressive, I just have to control the agression more now that not EVERYONE is calling with nothing.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
personally I think it is a combo of 2 things. I think I was significantly luckier at .5/1 than I am currently at 1/2. Other than that though, I think I either have uncovered a leak or althogether created one because of my .5/1 play. My went to SD % is much higher at 1/2, my win % at SD is lower, and my fold to river bet is lower. All of these show to me that I am facing more agression at 1/2 and not believe what they are telling me. At .5/1 I was ALWAYS king of the table, and when I got raised it always meant a fish just hit the nuts. At 1/2 there are actually players who raise top pair and raise AK PF. IMAGINE THAT. After datamining I have come to the conclusion that luck has played some factor, (AA has won a good 35% less at 1/2 than at .5/1) But I think that I also might be spewing on the later streets with UI AK or JJ on a board with 2 overs. On the other hand I think that I have become tighter and more agressive, I just have to control the agression more now that not EVERYONE is calling with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

so...how many hands are we talking about here??

personally, i think that the tone of your post is disturbing. the stats you cited have little or nothing to do with aggression and are unlikely to be converged to a meaningful number at this point. how exactly are you datamining to come to the conclusion that "luck" has played a role in your results? WAIT. luck can determine results in poker?? so, are you saying you are suffering from bad luck?

do you honestly think your only leak is spewing on later streets with AK or with JJ and 2 overcards? in fact, your leaks are likely leaks BECAUSE you have not or cannot identify them.