Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 AM

Default 30/60 Jamming the turn

I'm not the BB (hero) in this hand.

This transpired in an online 30/60 game. UTG (LAG, but not crazy) limps, and everyone folds to the CO, who raises. It's the CO's first hand at this table, but hero knows that the CO is a TAG. SB folds, hero calls with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB, and UTG calls too. 3 to the flop.

Flop {6.5 SB}: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to the CO who bets, hero check-raises, UTG calls two cold, and CO calls.

Turn {6.25 BB}: (8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, UTG calls, CO now raises, and hero 3-bets.

What do you guys think of hero's play?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: 30/60 Jamming the turn

I would 3-bet preflop.

I like the flop.

Turn: Come again?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:08 AM

call me weak tight but i'm folding on the flop. It's not that good for you, get out now. given that you played the flop the way you did and got called in both spots i'd check call the turn or hope it gets checked through. once it's raised you should just call. 3 betting in a muliway pot is bad.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:56 AM

I check-fold this turn 20% of the time and bet-fold it 75%. God only knows what I do the other 5%, but I don't see how you can rule out button having a better club & an overpair, or utg cold-calling again with the made flush or set or something. I see the rationale of forcing out better clubs in utg's hand but this is an expensive gamble since CO is allowed to be dealt clubs too. And if utg has the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], as seems likely, the Jaws of Life won't knock him out.

J
Old 07-10-2005, 02:37 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Are you missing the open ender that the OP just turned? CO likely doesn't have the flush at this time. He'd likely have jammed the flop with a flush draw.

b
Old 07-10-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you missing the open ender that the OP just turned? CO likely doesn't have the flush at this time. He'd likely have jammed the flop with a flush draw.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was missing it. I check-call but not two cold.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:19 PM

Perfect.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:04 AM

Default RESULTS

Here are my thoughts on this hand. Preflop is fine. The flop is fine as a variation.

Now let's talk about the turn. Hero has to follow up his flop check-raise with a turn bet, but he has also turned an open-ended straight draw. UTG calls, which is not good for hero, but now the CO raises. So what does the CO have? Since hero knows that CO is a TAG, it's probably not AT (unless it's AcTx) because the CO would have 3-bet that on the flop. Could CO have turned a flush? Maybe, but he may have 3-bet that on the flop too. CO may also AcAx/KcKx or a flopped set. Regardless, unless the CO is overplaying a lone Ac in a protected pot, hero is almost certainly behind and needs help on the river. In fact, hero is unlikely to have more than 5 outs because the 9c is likely compromised. And in the worst-case and fairly realistic scenario, hero is drawing dead. So hero's 3-bet is just bad. It's another example of the kind of -EV high-variance chip spewage that is now all too commonly advocated here.

As I told you, I'm not the hero in this hand. Actually, I was the CO, and I had TT. I knew that the BB's (hero's) stats were 17.88/9.98/1.10. So when he called preflop and then check-raised the flop, I knew what he likely had. I was putting him on AT/A8/T8/55/88. I didn't think he would check-raise with a flush draw because he wouldn't want to drive out UTG. UTG might be on a flush draw because he called two cold, but he may also have lots of other hands here. Regardless, I decided to wait till the turn to raise because I was convinced that BB would bet the turn.

That turn club was not a good card for me in the sense of UTG perhaps having turned a flush, but when he just called the turn, I knew I still had him beat so I raised. But when BB 3-bet, I had to reconsider. After all, he must know that I wouldn't be raising here with crap, right? I raise with a flush on the board, and he's telling me he's the one who has it?? Alright, I guess I have to call down.

The rest of the action went as follows. UTG folded to the 3-bet, and I called. The river was a 7. BB bet again, and I called.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any reasoning for why the turn 3-bet is perfect?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:27 AM

Why didn't you cap the flop? It might have made the turn easier to play also.