Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 12:43 AM

Default River value bet?

This guy is fairly loose and passive, but not terrible. My question is about my river bet. In this situation is this a solid value bet? I think it is, but I wanted to see what people thought. Also, was limping from MP with A9s a good play? Im pretty sure I should at least call but raising seems a tad agressive for that position. Thanks all!

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 06-09-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: River value bet?

Standard on all streets.

Good hand, buddy.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:50 AM

I mix it up between calling and raising from there, depending on who has yet to act. I like the rest of it.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:52 AM

Thanks, Clayton. One question... if he were to have raised the turn or the river would I have to call down or could I safely fold? Seems like a fold on the turn might be ok, or maybe a call and then fold on river w/o help? One thing I'm still getting used to are the pot odds, seems like u can call down with anything cause you have odds, but at the same time you need to stay tight. heh
Old 06-09-2005, 01:00 AM

That's typically read dependant and where notes come in handy. The range of villain's holdings in those certain instances will help you make your decision.

For instance, there are games where the Villain will always call down with ace high or any part of the board, but will only raise when villain has a very strong made draw or a set or something to that extent. In cases such as this, value bets are super easy. At the same time, you can bet scary boards and make money, folding to any aggression.

But yeah, if it's an unknown who raises fourth I call down.

River raise is tricky. EV-wise it's a no brainer fold, but a part of me wants to know what villain was hanging around with the whole time. I'll make calls like this every once in a while just to narrow my reads on villain's postflop play. $$$-wise though, easy fold to river raise.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 AM

The river bet looks just fine to me. As far as limp vs. raise, for me it depends on table texture/following players. If it/they are on the tight side, I raise. More loose and I call.

-Jaran
Old 06-09-2005, 01:09 AM

Thanks Clayton, great responses... one more though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I always assumed that it would be better to fold to a raise on the turn than on the river. After reading SSHE Ive been calling more on the river, but maybe too much because I would pretty much call for pot odds if he raised river but would be more inclined to fold the turn. Maybe I have this backwards, or maybe I am taking the SSHE pot odds concept too far. So, to simplify, Why would I call down from the turn if he raised, but fold to one raise just on the river assuming he just calls the turn?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:18 AM

'Cuz a turn call and a river raise means the river helped him in a big way. In your case, maybe he had JT or KQ.

Folding the turn raise makes little sense because you have top freaking pair. This is party .5/1, the guy could raise you with many hands, most better some worse. The pot is large enough for you to call down hoping he has hands among the "some worse". Plus, you can still improve to two pair or trips.

There are times where I will fold to turn raises, but it's read dependant, like I said. You can't just always call down or always fold. That's the hard part about preflop play, you have to play the opponent and not the cards to an extent.