Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Contact them today!

The ignorance about the history of the filibuster truly amazes me.

Did you know that the filibuster was not allowed in the US Senate from 1789 to 1806? (psst - that's when the "founding fathers" were serving in the Senate).

Clearly there was no intent of having such a rule as part of the checks and balances. As mentioned in anearlier post, checks and balances are between branches of government, not between political parties inside one branch.

As usual, the liberals lie about history and just make up whatever suits their cause de jour. Byrd the filibuster killer as majority leader, becomes Byrd the filibuster backer. Since they are making it up as they go, they deserve no respect.

I, for one, support democracy. The people elected the Senate and the President. Lets let the people's elected representatives do their jobs. When the Democrats have the White House, they can appointjudges. When they control the Senate, they can vote nominees down. Today, however, the American people do not trust them in the White House or controlling the Senate - let the people's will prevail. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Writes a storm, though

[ QUOTE ]
That is the first thing I did in my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

They already warned you he can't read.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:29 AM

GOOD NEWS!!

The wall is beginning to crack. Reid is throwing all sorts of nominees to the GOP. All of a sudden, they are ready to concede to the confirmation of more than half of the blocked nominees (4 of 7).

Read about it here.

This will be all over by next week. Democracy will prevail. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 04:34 AM

I emailed my Senator (Lugar) since it was reported he was on the fence a few weeks back, but his office never responded.

It's a shame. I spent a lot of time on that email, despite his being a (R), I like the guy, and my ex-girlfriend and I used to work with him and his office.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:38 AM

No nuclear explosion by the GOP would be a good thing.

Perhaps one of the two parties will act responsibly. I doubt if the GOP will be the one -- at least not the GOP of the last 4 years.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps one of the two parties will act responsibly.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the parties is acting responsibly. Voting on nominees is what the Senate has always done.

If we were talking about blocking one wacko nominee, that would be one thing, but there has never been a mass blockage of nominees before. The Democrats overplayed their hand by going after multiple good upstanding nominees, not just the one rotten egg. The GOP is doing the responsible thing of restoring the process to what it always has been.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:59 AM

The responsible thing is to let the rules stand. The rest is the partisan bickering on both sides.

Resending the nominations to the senate after they were not confirmed was irresponsible partisanship and a clear statement that idealogues and not leaders are running the new GOP.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:10 AM

The responsible thing to do is to vote on nominees. The Senate can vote down anybody they want, they've done it throughout history, but never has a majority of Senators been denied the right to vote.

There is nothing magical about the rules. When the Senate was founded, the filibuster did not exist. It was created later. When used sparingly, it has some merit. When used in as a blanket blocking technique, it loses its value. The Democrats are killing the filibuster by using it irresponsibly. Shame on them.

When Democrats abused the filibuster over Civil Rights, enough rules changes were made to break them. The same is happening now. The Democrats are fully responsible for killing the filibuster through their irresponsibility.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:16 AM

OK. You get the bickering prize for Best Defender of the GOP position.

Now, I just hope they dont change the rules, at least not in this way.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:19 AM

He's doing a lot better than his fellow Republican Senator Chuck Hagel:

"The Republicans' hands aren't clean on this either. What we did with Bill Clinton's nominees - about 62 of them - we just didn't give them votes in committee or we didn't bring them up."