Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Overcards out of position, too weak?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you need anything more than just an overcards to bet the turn HU in this pot. But you do need to have a pretty good feel for the opponent, and access if you think his turn bet means strength. There's a good chance you're still ahead on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an unknown Party 1/2 player I bet this turn a lot. Almost always, since the pot is heads up. 100 hands later, after I have confirmed my read that he is a typical weak tight Party 1/2 player, I'll usually bet the river unimproved too and watch him fold.

Reads are extremely important here, as is your table image. Some players will never fold their bottom/middle pair, especially if you've made some plays that look strange to them -- they'll always call you down. I'd still bet the turn then (likely) and but would check the river.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:35 PM

The pot is small, not going to get much bigger. We just whiffed our redraw, don't have an equity edge to bet for value, probably don't have enough fold equity to make up the difference, don't have the odds to call even if all six of our outs are clean, and probably don't have enough implied odds make up the difference if we spike one.

We've only invested 1.5BB so far, but will have to risk 2 more to keep going. I check/fold this turn. I think there are better times to semi-bluff with overcards.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you need anything more than just an overcards to bet the turn HU in this pot. But you do need to have a pretty good feel for the opponent, and access if you think his turn bet means strength. There's a good chance you're still ahead on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an unknown Party 1/2 player I bet this turn a lot. Almost always, since the pot is heads up. 100 hands later, after I have confirmed my read that he is a typical weak tight Party 1/2 player, I'll usually bet the river unimproved too and watch him fold.

Reads are extremely important here, as is your table image. Some players will never fold their bottom/middle pair, especially if you've made some plays that look strange to them -- they'll always call you down. I'd still bet the turn then (likely) and but would check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, analyzing this originally I was viewing as if we are already beat and drawing. But the reality is that I am usually maniacally aggro in this situation w/ AQ in real life. I retract my previous analysis. I think the correct line is to continue leading the turn and river unless the opponent tells you to slow down w/ a raise. Then it becomes important to consider your reads.