Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Lessons from Elysium

Full table. Online 15/30. Goofy game. I limp in the cutoff after 3 limpers with 44, button folds, both blinds come.

Flop [ Q T 5 r ]. It's checked to me. Now I routinely take a free card here, rightly or wrongly. On this table, I do think it best to check behind. It's hard to get how that flop missed everyone, and many of these players chase with extremely strange holdings when last to act opens, convinced that J6o may be the best hand, and is certainly live.

I bet after a short pause. As I'm contemplating the effect of my short pause, to my surprise it's folded to my immediate right and he check raises. Instantly, the counsel of elysium rings in my ears, "The cutoff can't check-raise the button." Anyway, I chuckle and dig in to call down for this small unraised pot. I get a lot of help as the turn and river don't seem to hit any semi-bluff hands. He bet his A4 all the way, and didn't hit his 3-outer. Routine, yes. But the words of elysium ringing in my ears during the play of a hand, priceless.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Lessons from Elysium

hi shemp
shemp, you were the relative button. what i was telling bad is simply that when it's a large multi-way and you have a powerful holding, from the CO you don't go for a check-raise. you raise an opponent who has acted out of turn, by check-raising. how do you know whether he will bet or check it down after you check? you know because he is acting out of turn. otherwise, you must bet. now whether he full blows crosses the line with his bet or acts out of turn intuitively, almost imperceptibly, that i can't tell you. neither can i ever tell you how to determine when he begins the early subtle intuitive stages of pre-bet betting impetus with seemingly little if any betting motion. for yopu shemp, it may be the former; for me, the latter. i cannot tell you when the rice paper materializes grasshopper; your opponent must first open his hand before you take the rice paper. perhaps you see a closed fist grasshopper. i see open hand in relative out of turn dimention.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Lessons from Elysium

[ QUOTE ]
But the words of elysium ringing in my ears during the play of a hand, priceless.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some newer medications that could help, and with fewer side effects than Thorazine. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]