Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Mental effect of pokertracker

I have been using pokertracker for some time and have been very pleased with the ability to moniter my own play, as well as my opponents. However, recently I have noticed that the program has started to have a negative impact on me mentally. I look at my stats and obsess about the fact that my PFR isnt over 7 and that my VPIP is only 15. Now from what I can tell these stats are OK, but not perfect, but worrying about it isnt going to help. The real way to improve my game is to read here and post hands etc, not look at a 6.8% PFR and then raise KTos from EP just cause(not that I acutally do this, but I feel frustrated about it and that is not the emotion you want to play with). Also, when I have a losing session or two, I look and my dropping win rate and its kind of disapointing, even though i know my sample size is not large enough to determine a true win rate. Has anyone else noticed this? Should I avoid looking at it and only use it to track others, or is looking at my stats beneficial even if its tough to face the music about my own play/luck. (nothing more frustrating than playing back a hand where I lost the most money that session only to discover that I played it correctly.)
Old 08-26-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Mental effect of pokertracker

keep it minimized.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:50 AM

I think you need to start looking at your numbers differently. "Good" PT numbers will not make you a good player. When I started auto-rating players I gave way too much respect to anyone with TAGgish stats. The fact is many have those stats but can't play postflop worth a damn.

Look at your stats, sure, but use them as pointers to where you may be going astray. Don't try to tailor your play to make pretty numbers. You'll just mess yourself up.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:53 AM

I should add that PT's number juggling is great, but I find it most useful for playing back hands and sessions. I've found plenty of leaks just by reverse sorting hands based on BB/100.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I look at my stats and obsess about the fact that my PFR isnt over 7 and that my VPIP is only 15. Now from what I can tell these stats are OK, but not perfect

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously obsessing over anything isn't good. These stats aren't "bad" but, there likely aren't "optimal". It's hard to judge this based on a lack of information in your OP. Namely what limits you're playing at and over how many hands this sample is taken from.

I think you make a great point about some people getting to obsessed with a couple stats. I'm currently coaching a friend of mine who started playing a few months ago and he's the same way. The problem is that VP$IP and PFR are only one part of the equation. If you're playing at sub-optimal tables (i.e. tight) you won't be playing as many hands. If you're playing with sub-optimal position
(i.e. loose players on your left) your won't be able to raise a wide range of hands in attempts to steal their blinds. If this sample is over a small number of hands you could just be experiencing variance - where you're just not getting dealt quality hands to start with.

If you want some better responses you need to share some more information (and if you might also consider posting this in psychology). In general, I think the above is good advice for you and other players reading this. Stats aren't everything.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:18 PM

Ok, for the record I have played from .5/1 to 2/4 but most of my hands are at .5/1 the stats I was talking were at 2/4. As for sample size I have about 10k .5/1 and only like 4k at 2/4. Also, I think it is worth repeating what others have said, its the appropriateness of your actions that matters not your stats. If you make the right play your stats will follow. This is kind of what Savage said in his response. Going over hands is more important that staring at numbers. My new outlook is to play the best I can (obviously) but focus on making the right decision, regardless of what that does to my stats or my short term outcome.

thanks for all the responses

edit: I have also done what you said savage I take my biggest losses of the session and play them back to see if I made a mistake, but I should do it a LOT more often. (not to mention posting more of those hands.) Sometimes I do it with my biggest wins to make sure I played right as well. (Did I protect my set of kings in that moster pot correctly? Should I have called the flop to raise the turn? etc.)