Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: The real difference in the 2 party\'s economic policy

Do you think it's even worth it for me to try and finish the rest of the book? There are just too many good books out and it's just hard for me to continue reading this book.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:30 PM

1. I have my opinions but its open for debate, so I definately think one party is better than the other for the average person.

2. Dems: big centralized government, higher taxes (generally for the higher classes), pro abortion, pro gay marriage
Republicans: Smaller central govt/more states rights, lower taxes, anti-abortion and anti gay marriage.

3. Most economists are Republican so take that for what its worth.

4. I think you can know what policy is better you just have to look at many different factors and not just one.

5. I personally think economics is a bigger issue for myself, but it's really personal preference. However if your part of a minority of the population on certain social issues (gays, women for abortion) that are really in the middle of all the social issues then social issues are probably a bigger concern for you.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Primarily the historical position of the Democratic party has been to increase taxes on the upper income brackets and reduce or leave flat the middle and lower brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are taxes on the middle class lower now than they were doing the last two democratic presidencies? Democrats are never in favor of lower taxes for the middle class.

natedogg
Old 08-06-2005, 12:43 AM

Democrats want higher taxes for all, they just want even higher taxes for the "rich".
Old 08-06-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He continually asserts that the blue collar voters of Kansas and other red states are voting against their economic best interests when they vote for Republicans

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no Bush fan, but ask any middle class american if they're paying more taxes now, or under Clinton. They will all give the same answer, every single middle class taxpayer: They pay less tax under Bush.

[ QUOTE ]
but he never backs up his claim that the Democratic economic policy is in the best interest of blue collar/farm workers with solid facts or arguements. He just asserts that it is so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to Thomas Frank.

[ QUOTE ]
2 - What are the key differences in the party's policies that makes one party's policy better for average people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both parties are highly detrimental to average people.

[ QUOTE ]
5 - How much more important should economic policy be to a voter than non-economic social issues?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are one and the same.

natedogg