Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Suffering a 140BB downswing. Need help

1/2 6 max is where I'm hanging out now. A few weeks ago Kaishan posted some excellent starter links for getting started, including a very good starting hand chart.

It's very different than full ring, but it's even fishier than .5/1 IMO and more exciting and faster paced than full ring. I'd suggest 400BB br for 6-max. Let me see if I can find that link for you....

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...art=1&vc=1
Old 05-18-2005, 11:33 AM

choose your own way of being okay with this: tell yourself it's just variance, post/reply more here, study your hands more, work on a different game (try 6 max or drop down a level and work on multitabling), take a day/two days/a week off, go work out, whatever.

whatever you do, don't let it affect your life outside poker. I survived the 410 BB downswing unscathed and am most thankful!!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:35 AM

I don't think B/R needs to be that much more. As was explained to me, the variance of SH is overrated because you play more hands per hour. 400 BB's should be fine.
There is no SH literature out there (which I'm starting to realize is a good thing) but do a search and find a starting hand chart. Basically you want to raise or fold PF and play your normal game post-flop.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:38 AM

Assuming your Standard Deviation is 15BB/100 and your win rate is 2BB/100, events like this will happen very infrequently. On the order of once every 5,000 sessions of length 750.

Of course if you start to play worse during these downswings or you're not really a 15/2 player, it will happen much more frequently. For instance, if your stats when losing are 19BB/100 Std. Dev. and your win rate is 0.01 BB/100, then they will happen about 1 in every 200 sessions of length 750. My suspicion is that this is the case.

Oh yeah, and Party is rigged.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically you want to raise or fold PF and play your normal game post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... be careful here. Your 'normal' post-flop play needs a lot of adjustment. If you used your normal post-flop strategy, someone can show an automatic profit from you by always betting and raising no matter what they have.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically you want to raise or fold PF and play your normal game post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... be careful here. Your 'normal' post-flop play needs a lot of adjustment. If you used your normal post-flop strategy, someone can show an automatic profit from you by always betting and raising no matter what they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well luckily nobody has caught on yet [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I knew this response was coming and I didn't mean "always fold without a pair or good draw". If you're the PF aggressor with position and 2 villians check to you on a paired board, you usually should bet, or call/raise a bet against a non-passive opponent. But you should be doing that at 1/2 full anyway. That's not necessarily true at .5/1 where 8 people are seeing a flop; but in my experience 6-max has just as many people seeing a flop as 1/2 ring.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 AM

First hand of my next session I get AQs in the big blind and I won [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Thanks for all the advice guys. The worst thing about this downswing is that it has affected my confidence, making me play a bit more passively. However I have just finished a winnig session (only 4BB) but it felt good after constantly losing.

Before this started I was planning on moving up to 1/2 6max on friday, but I think I will delay it for a couple of weeks while I try to rebuild a bit.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First hand of my next session I get AQs in the big blind and I won . Thanks for all the advice guys. The worst thing about this downswing is that it has affected my confidence, making me play a bit more passively. However I have just finished a winnig session (only 4BB) but it felt good after constantly losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear it - the confidence makes it worth much more than 4BB [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Before this started I was planning on moving up to 1/2 6max on friday, but I think I will delay it for a couple of weeks while I try to rebuild a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be ready for some big swings when you do move to 6-max.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:04 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I just can't see why I am losing at such a rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's variance. Let me know when you hit 410 BB.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

You did this at 6max I'm assuming, unless you're davidross in your spare time.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You did this at 6max I'm assuming, unless you're davidross in your spare time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard deviation at 6max is with .5 BB/100 of my standard deviation at full ring. But yes it was shorthand and many people think shorthand is more variance prone.

Krishan