Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Dealers Choice Home Game Question

My dealers choice game has the dealer post all the antes. I have also done rounds which works well. Blinds only work if you do a whole round.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto your comments. I play with a group of regulars (I'm the noob) with dealer ante and progressive betting 25¢ 1st round, 50¢ 2nd, 75¢ 3rd etc... All games are split hi/lo declare and dbl flops are common - almost always Omaha... definitely good for action. Not crazy about the structure... I'd rather orbit and stick to the non-crazies! It still makes for fun and the hi/lo which I think sux does allow for break even nights for most. The dbl omaha is one of the few crazy games I like.

- Fins

[/ QUOTE ]

yo Fins,

Do you play double flop (HE or Omaha) with high/low? Tell me how that works out. I thought it would be too chaotic with both flops being split for a total of 4 pots.

the Real Macoy
Old 02-25-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you play double flop (HE or Omaha) with high/low? Tell me how that works out. I thought it would be too chaotic with both flops being split for a total of 4 pots.

the Real Macoy

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, we play both but mainly Omaha. It's all declare and perfect is 6,4 w/ straights/flushes negating a low. There is only one pot to split and you can play from either line but not across lines. If you're trying to scoop you can play hi on one line & low on the other. Must win both to scoop as typical... also no ties. It would be chaotic to play each line seperately. FWIW, we play a bet & 3 raises caps per round.

- Fins
Old 02-25-2005, 12:24 PM

Our regular game is 1-2 limit, and we play with a single $1 blind for flop games and, for stud games, a single $1 dead ante posted by the player to the dealer's left, plus a $1 bring in from the low card. The big change we made, though, to keep it fair, was having each person's chosen game go for a whole round. That way, no one gets screwed because they're always to the left of a person who calls stud every time.

If you're going to use an ante posted by all, you have to have the dealer post for everyone. Otherwise, every other hand is a fight about who didn't post because the pot is short.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the Real Macoy

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, we play both but mainly Omaha. It's all declare and perfect is 6,4 w/ straights/flushes negating a low. There is only one pot to split and you can play from either line but not across lines. If you're trying to scoop you can play hi on one line & low on the other. Must win both to scoop as typical... also no ties. It would be chaotic to play each line seperately. FWIW, we play a bet & 3 raises caps per round.

- Fins

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha!
Thanks for the clarification Fins.
We have been playing all our double flop HE and OM as split pots (one half for each flop). It actually works out quite well and there is still the opportunity to scoop both sides. Incorporating high/low declare will be excellent for the double flop Omaha. We have always played with the wheel for low and straights/flushes not counting againts low. Do you see any difficulty in using this for the double flop Omaha high/low declaration?

Cheers,
the Real Macoy
Old 02-25-2005, 10:47 PM

What kind of clay chips would you recommend? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

FWIW in my ring game which we play as Dealer's Choice (or sometimes a Forced Rotation), when it's dealer's choice that player will call the game out of the legal choices for our club (Hold 'Em, Omaha Hi/Lo 8, Stud, Stud Hi/Lo 8) we do one circuit of the table, when it get back to the person who called the game it actually skips over him to the player to his left. This keeps the blind structure even if flop games are called.

For stud games to keep things simple, the dealer antes for the table. Maybe not exactly startegically even, but it speeds things up and since all games make one rotation everyone has to stand the antes.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of clay chips would you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that using different colors for different denominations works out GREAT!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry for the late thanks but I've wanted to spend sometime on my response. My issue is I wanted to avoid the "Everyone deals around" and come up with some scheme that was fair to everyone (blinds/antes) and easy to manage. I thought the "All Blinds, All the Time" might work but it sounds like the idea may be just a bit too far out there.

Personally, I think the following setup is the fairest:
1. Everyone deals a round.
2. Blinds for HE, Omaha.
3. Dealer antes for Stud, Draw.

I'm not a huge fan of the "Everyone deals a round" because there are some games I don't like and some games others don't care for and now you have to play it 6-8 times in a row.

Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:01 PM

actually you can play draw with blinds as well. doing a round of blind play gives alot of choice: OM HE and draw variations. also for your stud rounds if you add a forced bring-in bet and minimize the ante in stud it can make for a bit more action (low showing brings it in, then high hand showing from then on).

later and good luck in your games

the Real Macoy