Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 11:12 PM

Default AQ offsuit in the SB and a spurious line

Button seems fairly straightforward here and a bit loose. He'll call down with serviceable hands postflop even though it appears highly likely (From the board and action) that he's beat.

MP1 is a loose and somewhat aggressive player. He also likes to call down a lot, and does the ol' S&G often.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, Button calls.

River: (14 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, Button overcalls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 07-04-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: AQ offsuit in the SB and a spurious line

I 3bet this hand preflop. The guy is on the button and is described as loose, so AQ is ahead of his range here. Plus you would really like the dead money in the pot (some people do fold for 2 bets back, but even when they don't you have equity).

On a flop like this, I will usually bet out with the intention of 3betting. Since you didn't, you should 3bet this flop to protect your hand.

Given your action, on the turn and river you can certainly bet, but you should be prepared to fold to a raise by any player besides the button.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:11 AM

Button's loose but not necessarily overaggressive, so I'm not necessarily ahead of him preflop.

The flop cold-call is something I almost never do with TPGK, nor do I tend to overrepresent my hand as I did on the turn/river.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Button's loose but not necessarily overaggressive, so I'm not necessarily ahead of him preflop.

The flop cold-call is something I almost never do with TPGK, nor do I tend to overrepresent my hand as I did on the turn/river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to necessarily be ahead of BN here to make a 3bet correct; all you can do is look at his range of hands. And against all but the tightest raisers, AQ is ahead of his range. Beyond that, even if you are a little behind to his specific hand (like AQ v TT), you still have equity and a 3bet due to the limpers.

But the biggest mistake in this hand IMO is not 3betting the flop, as you would really like MP to fold here - for no better reason than he could have a 9, and the turn could be a 9...
Old 07-04-2005, 01:24 AM

Bet the flop, be prepared to re-raise or pull the S&amp;G on the turn.

Since you didn't play it that way, then I really like a 3-bet on the turn assuming Button will lay down a hand such as AK here. Since he is a calling station I marginally like it.

You have to bet the river. My gut says there is a good chance that Hero might be beat or tied, but I play it this way anyway.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 01:36 AM

what is the plan if raised on the river? fold?