Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 10:31 AM

Default River decision...

$6-$12 game at the Borgata. Pretty decent game. Some players under valued hands other players over valued hands. Some players did not reraise with premium hands others reraised with any pocket pair. The table went from passive to aggressive with each move of the dealer button.

On to the hand, I welcome comments on all streets. I would like input especially on the turn.

Three limpers to me and I raised from the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The big blind bet everyone folded and I raised. He called.

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He checked, I bet he raised. I called.

River K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He bet. Should I raise call or fold?

Some background on the villain. He knew what hands he had, however he did a poor job of putting other players on hands. He did not think beyond the first level. I considered him a loose blind defender.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: River decision...

given your read, i think a raise is in order. i think his most likely hand is 98s or something of the like.

i don't see what's up for debate on the turn here, are you considering 3-betting? if so, why? you've got like 14 outs, i'd want to raise his bet if i hit one of them.

are you folding the river UI? i would.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 AM

I like your call on the turn. Pretty decent-sized pot with TPMK and a flush draw.

River is tough - some of his likely hands are 88, 99, K9, K8 - all of which love that river K, as well. If he was on a draw of some sort, he wont pay the raise off....

What hands might he have where he'll pay off your river raise and you'll win? Maybe 98 or A9 or a worse K?

Seems pretty close between calling and raising - getting three-bet here would hurt so bad, but then again, it's live game play. Still, I call the river and curse myself when he turns over 98.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:10 AM

given your read, i think a raise is in order. i think his most likely hand is 98s or something of the like.

Pretty much what I put him on.

i don't see what's up for debate on the turn here, are you considering 3-betting?

I frequently use the play that he used. When I flop a concealed monster, I like to bet the flop and call a raise and then check raise the turn. I did not consider this player to have that sophistication until after this hand. I just gave you a huge clue as to this players hand.

I planned on folding unless I hit a spade a 10 or a King.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:11 AM

What hands might he have where he'll pay off your river raise and you'll win? Maybe 98 or A9 or a worse K?

Good question. I let prior hands cloud my judgement a bit. I did not see him laydown when he had a losing hand once in the session. He paid people off with a lot of junk especially heads up in a big pot.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:34 PM

Everything seems standard to me until the river.

I think the big question is do you think he'll pay off a raise with a worse hand? What do you do if he 3-bets here? Could you make this fold safely (or would it kill your table image?)

I would raise because he probably only cares about his hand and has little to no idea what you have, and because he'll probably pay off like a slot machine.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I frequently use the play that he used. When I flop a concealed monster, I like to bet the flop and call a raise and then check raise the turn. I did not consider this player to have that sophistication until after this hand. I just gave you a huge clue as to this players hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

set of treys then?

[ QUOTE ]

I planned on folding unless I hit a spade a 10 or a King.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, looks like the way to go. i guess you had a tough time calling the 3-bet.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:29 PM

Just call, you beat 98, but lose to 33,88,K3,K8,K9, 99 if he likes to lead flop with such.
This guy may even check counterfit 2 pair on the end if he notice it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

edit: I would have called a riverblank too. 3betting the turn if he wont reraise with less than a set might be good, but without knowing how weak he is, I just call.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:19 PM

Default results...thoughts..

River action.

Final board of K 9 8 K 3 no flush possible

I have K 10

The villian bet. I huddled and asked myself if he had a hand like K9 K8 88 or 33. I discounted K8 but not K9 88 or 33. I then thought back to his previous betting pattern. He would bet 2 pair hands into boards with three to a straight or three to a flush.

I put him on 89 the hand I had hoped he hand and raised. He looked at his cards muttered something and called.

He turned over 88 and took it down [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I think the villian played the hand very well until the river. He could have check raised me again. He should have put in at least one more river raise also.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:22 PM

I think the big question is do you think he'll pay off a raise with a worse hand?

He did all night. He had the best hand and did not reraise me, just to give you some insight into his play.