Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Read-based line with A9s

Main villain in this hand is very loose preflop, and loves to bluff bet in position as well as betting out to the pfr OOP with as little as a gutshot draw or bottom pair. Obviously he plays any legitimate draws very aggressively.

One of his many fatal flaws from what I have seen is that he just loves to get 'fancy' and ultra-slowplay what he considers strong hands. For example, I've seen him check the flop AND the turn on the button with a flopped set then finally raise a river bet.

I suspect he may be slightly annoyed with me as I've checkraised him successfully on a few occasions prior to this hand.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

River: (3.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB

Comments appreciated on all streets. I'll expand on my reasoning and metagame considerations down the line.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Read-based line with A9s

I don't really like open limping with that in EP.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:10 AM

I'd prefer you use your read to checkraise the flop and drive out MP2, then worry about CO. Whatever he had, you let him see a river for just one sb.

I also don't like the open limp, it's 8 handed after all so it's really a limp from mp2. Raising was probably the better choice.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:15 AM

I hate the preflop. I checkraise the flop, especially against this player. If he's steaming, that's great for you. TP9K is not something to slowplay here.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:18 AM

I openlimp all day long in EP-EMP with A8-A9s and they've been profitable. The fact this was 8-handed by the time this hand came along might change it to a raise, but it probably doesn't make a great difference. People were coming and going with the villain the good constant.

As for the flop, meh. Fairly small pot, I figured I was probably well ahead, knocking out the 3rd guy isn't really my biggest concern. The turn check by villain is what's really interesting to me here though.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:22 AM

Preflop is borderline for me. I hate the flop and turn, and also the river because the misplays before led up to it.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:40 AM

Either bet that flop or bet that flop. You could try to checkraise CO, but I don't see what good that does on such a drawless board. You missed several bets here trying to get fancy on CO. Plus the pot is mutliway.

PF depends on table conditions.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:47 AM

Looks like a great spot to check/raise the flop and then lead the rest of the way. Call a raise on the turn unimproved and then 3-bet an ace or a nine.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:06 AM

If he has something like 7-10 then you hopefully you learned your lesson.

Preflop: I don't know could be good could be bad, I am not an expert at that type of thing.

Flop: Bet, or c/r do something show some aggression.

Turn: Going for a c/r at that point right? Well since you probably should have bet out the flop you should have bet out here.

River: Caping seems like spewing against a guy who likes to ultra slow play sets and stuff.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he has something like 7-10 then you hopefully you learned your lesson.

Preflop: I don't know could be good could be bad, I am not an expert at that type of thing.

Flop: Bet, or c/r do something show some aggression.

Turn: Going for a c/r at that point right? Well since you probably should have bet out the flop you should have bet out here.

River: Caping seems like spewing against a guy who likes to ultra slow play sets and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he checks the turn, there is no way he has a OESD/gutshot/flush/other semi-legitimate draw. He always bets draws, OOP or IP. Therefore 57 or T7 are out of the question. He is also far more likely than not to bet here with nothing whatsoever, so his turn check is strange.

Given that, my river decision is between calling the 3-bet or capping. I do believe this might've been a slightly marginal cap.