Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Joker\'s 13,000 hand stats check-up

I've never posted stats before, so I've never gotten much feedback. I'm not sure how many of these numbers are WAY off the mark, and which ones are fine -- though I have a feeling I defend too much (especially from the SB), and am being too passive post-flop at times. What say y'all super-experts? (Also, apologies in advance if my Paint skills/image posting is poor)

Old 07-08-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Joker\'s 13,000 hand stats check-up

The one thing that especially interests me since I have the same problem (if it is a problem) is the lack of increase in VPIP from UTG to about MP1. There's nothing that magical about MP2, but for some reason I get into this rigid mindset about hands I play UTG, then hands that I open with in MP, and somehow nothing gets added in between, yet as your position improves, you should be adding hands, and there is no reason that I shouldn't have a few more hands in UTG+2 than UTG, say. Anyone else notice anything similar in their stats?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:06 AM

Defend your SB less:
-1/3 structure
-opponents that (imo) understeal

Steal more blinds:
-Opponents underdefend
-Opponents play poorly HU and oop

Raise more preflop in LP
-Create more steal opportunities because buttons don’t coldcall much (as opposed to bigger games)
-Simply, more hands have enough equity to raise when you’re in LP

Increase CO/Button VPIP:
-Limp more hands behind limpers (suited cards, pairs, etc)
**This will probably result in your overall VPIP being about the same if you reduce SB defense as well**
Old 07-08-2005, 04:07 AM

Hands should increase exponentially as you get closer to the button (i.e. the changef rom MP3 to CO should be way bigger than the change from UTG to UTG+1).
Old 07-08-2005, 11:32 AM

The one thing that stands out is your PFR of 9.5%. I've found that as I've climed the limits, my PFR climbs along with me. Since you're getting into tighter and tighter games as you move up, it makes sense to be raising with a wider selection of hands.

This doesn't just relate to blind stealing, as I think your 36% is a good number for that. Rather, you might want to try experimenting with raising some weaker hands in middle position to take advantage of a number of tight players behind you. If the conditions are right you can be raising hands like QJo, JTs, A8o, and KTo from late-middle.

Currently my 3/6 PFR is around 12% and I'm pretty happy with it there. I think you should at least try to get it up towards 11%.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Defend less. Avoid putting yourself in marginal situations if you can. Try being slightly less aggressive at the flop and more aggressive at the river. Turn aggression is fine. Play more hands. 20% or more VP$IP is a good benchmark. To that end, don't be afraid to limp more preflop.

I know it sounds contradictory to recommend defending less AND playing more hands preflop, but I promise you it's not. Pick your spots and you'll earn significantly more than you're earning now.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing that especially interests me since I have the same problem (if it is a problem) is the lack of increase in VPIP from UTG to about MP1. There's nothing that magical about MP2, but for some reason I get into this rigid mindset about hands I play UTG, then hands that I open with in MP, and somehow nothing gets added in between, yet as your position improves, you should be adding hands, and there is no reason that I shouldn't have a few more hands in UTG+2 than UTG, say. Anyone else notice anything similar in their stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a theory on this because mine looks a lot like this. I play small pp EP in most games I'm in. However, I don't play them MP after the EP players have folded. I think this is a piece of it.