Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post: play along in a marginal situation

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I call on the flop with the intention of re-evaluating on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The pot is not huge, no reason to continue on the flop. I'd like to hear your reasoning. Besides straight draws that contain a 5 and a 6, there are no other draws available. I don't like this flop at all.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot may not be huge, but it's not small either. You've got the best hand here a decent amount of the time. Raising the flop does nothing for us, and we'll probably gather enough information on the turn to make a correct decision. I think folding the flop gives up a decent amount of equity here.

Since some later action has been given, I think calling the turn and folding the river is the best play.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:09 AM

Nope, fold the flop without good reads indicating that the bettor and/caller(s) are idiots.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:16 AM

U are behind to 99-77, 6-x, and 5-above7. Any overcards have 6 outs to u, 4 to any gutshot, 8 to any wheel.
If u are ahead the possible range of outs against u is somwhere between 16-22
If u are behind u are drawing most likely to 2,5 -3 outs.

Break even u need to win about 12 % of the time.
For this call to be profitable u need to dogde nearly half the deck twice, when u are ahead, and you have about 4% to win if trailing behind.( Gets even worse after turn since almost no cards improves your hand and u must call down to get paid)

Cant see it as good play,way to expensive- fold
Old 07-04-2005, 07:38 AM

Grammar is a bit sloppy but this is a good post.

A few hours ago I thought a call here was probably pretty close. I'm convinced it's bad now though.

There are two situations:

A. You are behind

If you are behind, you are in deep deep trouble. Let's go through all of your potential outs one by one.

7- Ironically, a 7 would be one of the worst cards that can hit the turn. It gives EVERY SINGLE straight draw a better hand than yours except 32. Anybody with a PP is still ahead of you because your 5's are counterfeited. The ONLY way a 7 helps you is if someone had something like A5 and everybody else had broadway cards.

5- Can get you in big trouble if somebody has a 6. If nobody has a 6 you will have a very hard time getting anybody to call you. Sometimes you will chop.

Backdoor straights- Will often be chopped or lose to a better straight or full house.

A. You are Ahead

Firstly I don't think you will be ahead here very often. A bet and two callers I would randomly guess means someone has a better 5 or a 6 more than half the time. As pointed out above, you are drawing virtually dead if you are behind.

But, if you are ahead...

How will you play the turn no matter what card comes? If it is checked to you, sometimes you will be checkraised. If somebody bets, you will sometimes fold the best hand.

The best case scenario for you is that all three flop players have just overcards. Even in this case you will have to dodge around 12 outs twice and will have to make very hard decisions if anybody bets.

Finally, the very few times you do end up winning you will not win very much.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grammar is a bit sloppy but this is a good post.[b]
A. You are behind
A. You are Ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why are people folding on a flop like this after limping with 57s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because three people have already told you that they like this flop well enough. Besides, when one limps with 75s, one is looking to flop a draw or a monster, not 566.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, why are people folding on a flop like this after limping with 57s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because three people have already told you that they like this flop well enough. Besides, when one limps with 75s, one is looking to flop a draw or a monster, not 566.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd settle for a pair of 5s or 7s closing the action a lot of the time, but the board being paired really hurts our hand IMO
Old 07-04-2005, 03:32 PM

I don't think your bankroll will suffer if you fold preflop here. On the flop I'd fold as well. I like the turn bet, but I'd fold to the check-raise. The only outs I'm comfortable with are the straight outs, and you're not getting odds to draw to it. Once you called the turn, fold the river.

EDIT: I'm discounting the straight outs to about 3-3.5 instead of 4 because of a) the heart draw; and b) there are times it will be a chop with a hand like 77 or 76, or lose to 87 that was open-ended on the flop.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:46 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think your bankroll will suffer if you fold preflop here.

[/ QUOTE ]

once again I think you're too tight