Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 12:57 AM

Default bad run encouragement

Sorry if this is a bad post. I am in the middle of my worst ever bad run, and even though I am a proven long run winner and am confident in my abilities, some encouragement would be great.

If some of the winning players on here who have seen it all could post some of their worst runs (in Big Bets) I think it would be encouraging to anyone enduring one.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: bad run encouragement

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this is a bad post. I am in the middle of my worst ever bad run, and even though I am a proven long run winner and am confident in my abilities, some encouragement would be great.

If some of the winning players on here who have seen it all could post some of their worst runs (in Big Bets) I think it would be encouraging to anyone enduring one.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just had my first -200 BB run. It f'ing sucks, especially when the people beating you are completely stupid. I thought I'd take a few weeks off, because my confidence was completely shattered. I couldn't actually see myself ever getting cards again. But fortunately, I got back on the horse right away, and over the past 1k hands or so, I've been back to my usual win rate.

All I've got to say is, hang in there. Running bad happens to everyone, and we've all seen morons rack up the chips that should rightfully be ours.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:52 AM

thanks bud
Old 06-28-2005, 01:55 AM

Notice the ridiculous amount of hands and the 200BB downswing at 3/6. I'm sure you are doing better than this so stop complaining and get back to playing. Someone in the HUSH forum had a 400BB downswing and he is a solid, proven winner. Now we can let this thread die.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:31 AM

One last bump!
-510BB
Old 06-28-2005, 02:35 AM

I once lost $7k in three days, which constituted about 115% of my bankroll.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:37 AM

When you're in an extreme downswing, there is always the chance you are just unlucky, but there is a greater chance that you're not playing at an optimal level. Whenever I've had an substantial downswing, a major part of the reason was that I was simply not playing well and I continued to play despite knowing this. Time and training goes a long way into ameliorating this type of behavior.

While you certainly should not be discouraged, it behooves you to examine your recent playing trends from as objective and critical an eye as you can muster and ask yourself whether you are losing despite truly playing at your best.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:29 AM

Well - I feel better now - I'm only in a 100BB downswing. PERSONALLY I feel I have tilted a few times, calling when I can not believe I have YET AGAIN lost a hand to crap.

I KNOW I have been unlucky but at the same time I KNOW I have been playing worse because of it.

I know I have posted a couple hands here and just got reamed by the 2+2 people and sot of slapped me in the face showing me that I was getting weak/tight. Typically I like my aggressiveness but in this streak I am now looking for ways to lose.

In the few BAD runs I have seen that it's like a pimple popping, BAM - it's over and things are normal again.

In fact my last 100BB downswing ended when I had a hand that I won!! It felt different, something GOOD happened, it was like the fog lifting and I took off.

Personally, I'm stepping back for a few days to regroup, re-tool and come back strong. I'll do some re reading and hit the table with confidence again in a few days.