Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Weighing the Odds in Hold\'em Poker - Review Wanted

Link. Anyone have a review for this book?

Lost Wages
Old 05-13-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Weighing the Odds in Hold\'em Poker - Review Wanted

Have you found the review you were hunting for yet? We'd all like to see it...
Old 05-13-2005, 07:01 PM

http://tinyurl.com/7ggs5

John Feeney gave it a glowing review, and skp regards the author highly. That was good enough for me.

Edit: oh, you obviously already saw that thread since you posted in it. whoops, maybe the link will help someone else.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 PM

This book is no good! anybody thinking of getting it, don't bother. Just go rush out an buy "Play poker like the Pro's". The LHE section in there will help you way more than this. Just memorize everything in there and you'll tear up the party 15/30, and 30/60...

Sorry, i'm dumb. that wasn't a very good joke. too much poker, and poker readings the last few days, and not enough sleep.

I just read it this morning... honestly I couldn't put it down.

I'm actually looking foward to reading it again. SSHE is the only other book where i've wanted to re-read it almost immediately after finishing going through it the first time.

On one side, almost everything in the book has probably been discussed at least some in the Small stakes, or mid-high forums... but it is really comprehensive. One thing I like about it is that he really works off of the old poker adage "it depends" in most of the examples, and then goes over what factors sway it one way or the other. a lot of emphasis on how you should play against different types of opponents.

Also, it seems like this book can be read and benefit somebody, even if they don't have a lot of poker experience and background. EV is introduced really well, and its tied in perfectly with outs/pot odds for those who don't know already know all the odds for various hands. its probably the best formula i've ever seen for figuring outs vs. pot odds if you're not a math person, and don't like doing division or fractions in your head. and the quizes in most of the sections are helpful, esp if you're relatively new and haven't seen mosts of these ideas before. his outs/partial outs is pretty similar to SSHE, and his overcards section is like the SSHE version of overcards for midlimits.

The first few sections are similar to TOP, and it is a lot of the same stuff, but i've read TOP a few times, and i still felt like i got a lot out of that part. i actually wish that "the flop" and "the turn" sections were quite a bit longer, and had a few more examples, but at least those sections have a lot of general pointers, and guidlines for what you should be considering when making plays. the internet section was fairly pointless if you're already an online player, but for some B & M only peeps it'd be informative. Oh, and the shorthanded section in here was really good. people are always asking for books that are out there about SH play, and although this isn't an entire book on it, it is about 30 pages of stuff devoted to SH play, so probably more comprehensive than anything you can find, other than looking through all the archived in the HUSH forums. It actually made me want to switch back to playing some 6max.

Anyways sorry this wasn't much of a review as it was me just randomly remembering sections from the book. Maybe i'm excited b/c i just read it earlier today, but I'm rating this one up there with SSHE, TOP, HPFAP, and Harrington vol. 1 (hopefully 2 will be as good or better) as books that I think no matter how many times I've read them, I can always learn something, or at least sharpen my skills by rereading sections.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:29 AM

Thanks for taking the time. Good enough for me.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:30 AM

Reading it right now, I have to say that I am impressed so far and will give further detail once Im finished with it.

The formula for comparing EV to Outs/Pot Odds (called DIPO = "do I have pot odds") is pretty amazing and simple for someone who doesnt want to do lots of calculations at the table (me) -- I actually like it much better than the current way I do it, which was to just memorize the numbers from an odds chart.

I agree with Steamboatin in the other thread...SSHE tells u how to do things and what to do in situations....this book does the same but is more comprehensive in a pounds more of the why in there.

and not to be confused, any Kung Fu fighting poker player, still needs a copy of SSHE tied to his belt. This book is also geared for middle limit, higher limit games as well as lower limits. And so far its very very good. I have the same feeling I did when I first read SSHE, TOP and HPFAP.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Hey, where is the best place to order this book? Amazon and Books a Million both say it will be 3-5 weeks.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:27 PM

I ordered it through one of the vendors on Amazon and had mine in 3 or 4 days

- KEVBO -
Old 05-18-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The formula for comparing EV to Outs/Pot Odds (called DIPO = "do I have pot odds") is pretty amazing and simple for someone who doesnt want to do lots of calculations at the table (me) -- I actually like it much better than the current way I do it, which was to just memorize the numbers from an odds chart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange. I found this technique needlessly complicated and calculation oriented. Well, to each his own, I guess.

I am on p.134. Yao's chapter on bluffing is good. His chapter on outs is great. I thought the pot odds/DIPO was the worst of what I've read.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:05 PM

I really liked the colored suits for the cards in the examples. All poker books should spend a little for red ink and include this.