Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Value of PartyPoker New STEPS tournament

Well, I bubbled, AJ in the SB, raised to 1k in the 200 400 level, bb calls. flop is AQJ, i push, he has KT and no help. Those are breaks.
-James
Old 12-07-2004, 12:10 AM

And the last hand of the tourney just got done. 62o grabbed a straight to beat out AA.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:26 AM

I played with ZeeJustin at a Step 4 yesterday. I am not sure if he bought in at 4, or worked his way up like I did.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:54 AM

What happens if you enter two Step 1s and place in both?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:04 PM

you get 2 freerolls for step 2. There are step 2 MMTs happening all the time... so basically you get 2 go's.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:14 PM

I played with Gigabet at Step 3 a few hours ago. Here is a play I don't understand from him:

After a couple of failed steal attempts I'm the shortest stack at 580, he is at around 1200. Big blind is 30. He limps in from UTG with ATo, 3 more limpers (uncharacteristic of this table, which has been very tight so far). I have AQs on the button and raise 300. Gigabet raises to 800, the rest fold.

Can someone explain the wisdom of his move? Surely he must realize that I'm pot committed and won't fold. How can he voluntarily commit himself like this with ATo? Only second time I raise a pot, so it can't be because he read me as having exceptionally loose raising standards.

The only idea I can come up with is that he read my move as being one of desperation, that I basically had nothing and hoped to pick up 150 in chips, making my situation a bit better.

I usually play limit so perhaps there is something about this situation that can explain his action that I have missed.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:55 PM

I checked out some of the Step 5 games and Gigabet was playing 3-4 tourneys in a row, if not consectively. He was also multitabling while playing the Super Monday game. He might not have been playing as close attention to your play with all that going on, especially since this was a step 3 round.

Conversely, if he was focusing, he may have thought you were on a re-steal. You admit you lost most of your stack on failed steals. If you wanted him to know you were pot committed, you should have pushed from the BB. Since you bet over half your stack but didn't push, he may have sensed weakness.

Steve
Old 12-07-2004, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain the wisdom of his move? Surely he must realize that I'm pot committed and won't fold. How can he voluntarily commit himself like this with ATo? Only second time I raise a pot, so it can't be because he read me as having exceptionally loose raising standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I won the seat in a failed step 4 attempt, wasn't ever concerned about the results. I was also playing 4 215 sngs with a 500 ll on each one, which was taking a lot of my focus.

However, I did recognize you were playing tight, which led me to believe that you knew what you were doing. I figured a limp reraise coming from me may spell out AA for you(someone folded KK to me once in the 1k event when I did that, he sent me the hand history, couldn't believe it).

So that is my lousy excuse for my lousy play. BTW, I lost all 4 last longer bets.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:07 PM

This morning entered 2 11+1s, now I've got an 3rd Step entry. Looking forward to it tomorrow morning.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:15 PM

OK, multi-tabling explains the decision. It's been a long time since I've played NL tourneys so I thought maybe there was something I had missed. Glad to see that wasn't the case [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Hated that T on the board though [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I did of course consider you might have AA, which would be the only hand I did not have odds to call but I thought the chances were small. I thought there was a bigger chance that you thought I was on a steal and wanted to punish it. Hope you made it through to step 4...