Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Laying down the nuts...?

I don't like this play on his part one bit. However, something important to think about is: did he push in because he knew you'd call? The only reason that I can think of to push the pure nuts like this is if I know that I'm on a freeroll and the other person is guaranteed to call me or if I am sure that the action will be killed if the flush card comes. Did you react when the cards were turned over? Unless he has a tell on you which told him that you had the nuts or a set, I can't think of any good reason to push my stack in his spot because it makes it too easy for you to get away from the hand.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 PM

Grant Pittman posted the EXACT same situation on The United Poker Forum (except his was a queen of hearts and the king was on the board (but he had one in his pocket as well not that it matters)) and his opponent folded the nut straight face up.

Laydowns like this can happen.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:20 PM

Why would you ever fold in this position. If hes got a flush draw your a favorite, if hes got a set YOUR A FAVORITE! Are you afraid to lose the money? If your afraid of being outdrawn you shouldn't play poker. THe only hand he could have that is a favorite over you is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], giving him the striaght plus the flush draw. If you lay it down, and hes got that i give you props, but your still crazy!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

c) are you thinking too much?

yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you talking about hero or me?

[/ QUOTE ]

hero....

but also you, now.

[/ QUOTE ]

if u fold the nuts on the flop headsup, then you are nuts. KcQc, 1 out of 169 (OK maybe better odds). i'd take that chance.

Kenny
Old 09-09-2004, 11:43 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

diamonds are blue, dammit!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if you are a good player, you will realize that this was a special situation, and you'll never think about folding a made straight again, and you will make tons and tons of cash from people pushing over the top of you when you have those stone cold nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, you have pretty good hands that you would like to get to a showdown a lot more often than you have the stone cold nuts. Opponents are much easier to play against when they play completely straightforwardly. Encouraging them to bluff at you is usually a bad idea. The only exception are those opponents who already bluff too often, and you always want to encourage them to bluff even more.