Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 05:02 PM

Default quick question on limping in

Your in late position, no raise, you have decent cards to limp if there are enough people going for a family flop.

What is the general rule here when you can call just about anything. What pot odds are you looking for when most pocket cards can be profitable. And/or how many people do you need to limp with these kind of cards. ("these cards" being less than marginal to marginal hands that you wouldnt ness. raise.)
Old 11-05-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: quick question on limping in

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general rule here when you can call just about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should never call with "anything" even if it will be a family pot. I.E. your pot odds are never good enough in a cash game to call with junk offsuit cards. For a guideline on what cards you should play in each position, read Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller. He has a hand chart for both tight and loose games and tells what to call or raise with under these circumstances.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 11-05-2005, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the reply - im not talking about junk hands though, Im talking more like suited connectors and one gappers nothing below 45o though assuming you rank the cards in order of rank.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:36 PM

45o is a junk hand. Low offsuit connectors are worthless.

Follow his advice and read SSHE, it will help you understand these topics.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:18 PM

I appreciate you advice but in a NL ring game and everyone limps in and your looking at 45s your not going to call? This is just for this situtation where everyone is limping in and you feel that the BB will check. Im not talking about which hands to go in with in late position.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:32 PM

Yes. If there are multiple limpers, you can play 45s+ and other speculative hands. 3+ should be fine.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate you advice but in a NL ring game and everyone limps in and your looking at 45s your not going to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dump it without a thought. If you flop a draw, you may get caught in a raising jam. (Then you make your flush and lose to a higher flush or full house, naturally.) If you flop two pair, it will be vulnerable to random higher pairs coming.

IMO, the only hands that always warrant a limp behind a bunch of limpers are pairs. Even 22. With unpaired cards, you probably have to be aware of what kind of junk the opponents are limping with. If you come in, tread lightly.

It's a mistake just to count the bets and figure your pot odds, oblivious to the fact that you have to beat a lot of enemy hands to win. If you are going to fight an army, you need some ammo.

But what do I know?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 PM

I'd play 54s. In the OPs reply he said 54o and I think that threw everybody off. However in a NL game you have to be careful with drawing hands postflop because your opponent can destroy your pot odds at any point. Either way, your best bet is still to read SSHE.

Good luck,
Matt