Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Opening UTG six handed

In a six handed game would you open (or raise) UTG with the following hands
Offsuit: AJ,AT,KQ,KJ,QJ.
Suited: KJ,KT,QT,J9,T8
Pairs: 22->55

Assume the game is about average with a raise about 40% of the time.

Posted here as the short handed forum seems to cover mostly limit.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Opening UTG six handed

Im just curious why you would raise UTG with a baby pair......almost ever. Isnt most of the value in baby pairs calling raises preflop....hitting a hidden set and allowing the preflop raiser to come after you when either the board is weak or he connects on a large card paired with great kicker or even a 2 pair like KQ or AK or AQ or AJ which is virtually impossible to get away from 6 handed???

Im just starting out playing ring games so...take my comments with a grain of salt. I also play at low limits (from 10-25cent ----to 2-4 live).
Old 01-21-2005, 10:22 AM

There's a number of reasons you may want to do this once in a while - it's very deceptive if you hit, you get more bluffing equity if high cards come and you stab, it also helps your image if people see you flip this up so then your UTG raises with big pairs are not taken as seriously. Just the other day I did this with 66, and on the board of 33456, I was paid off nicely because they could beat my "obvious" big pair with a straight.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:00 AM

I never would raise with a small pair. My post is to try and discover what other folk do with the hands I've listed. Of course any hand can be played any way for deception purposes but that's not really what I'm looking for.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:44 AM

well, depending on what speed I'm at in the game and table image, etc. - in fast gear, I'm raising any two face usually, any pair some % of the time, and suited connectors - anything weaker I want to play I'll limp with usually.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't open with a low pocket pair for any other reason besides deception. For the rest I decide how loose the table is and go from there.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:20 PM

Basically it depends on how good your opponents are. If my opponents are good I'm less keen to see flops out of position in raised pots.

But, in general, I'm opening with ATo/A7s/KJ and above. Plus medium to high pairs. Small pairs if theres a good chance my opponents will fold to a flop bet, and for deception value. Plus stuff like JT, QJ occasionally, depending on my mood [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2005, 04:38 PM

Yeti...

A7s? I'm kind of curious how you make money with this hand... especially given what you said about not liking to play out of position in a raised pot... seems like a lot of the time you catch an ace you'll be hoping for a (really) cheap showdown if you can even get to one, or playing for the flush value, in which case, it's hard to get value out of position. Am I missing something?

I'm new to shorthanded play, and realize that you need to loosen up a bit, but I'd much rather do that in postion than not. I realize I'm just stating the obvious here.

Would love to hear how you play these hands.

I defer to you more experienced 2+2'ers
-Dave
Old 01-21-2005, 04:54 PM

I try not to open up all the time with them but I do think they are profitable if your post flop skills are good.

I think you've got more chance of making a profit with them at the 100xBB games, for sure.

Most of the time you take it down will be when you bet the flop and they fold. I think a lot of people fold too often.

As you move higher, people will try to keep you honest by calling on the flop with nothing with a view to taking it away from you on 4th street. This can be frustrating and is something you want to look out for.

When I move up I try to tigten up in EP slightly until I've settled in. If not, you run the risk of getting run over by people just using their position against you.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:00 PM

Also, FWIW, I think people place way too much value on starting hands in NL.

It really depends on the table and your image, sometimes I'll open with 67s, QJo UTG, depending on how I'm feeling. I'm not saying all of these moves are +EV but it keeps me interested, and projects a somewhat crazy image. Besides, there's tons of value to be snapped up in these games just by raising preflop and betting the flop.

Be very liberal on the button if folded to as well.