Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 PM

Default 3bet flop or c/r turn HU with vulnerable hand (hypothetical)

I seem to run into the following type of decision a fair amount -- I can't find a specific hand right now, but what's standard here? Assume CO isn't great, but not a total fish -- a little loose with cold-calling raises pf, but wouldn't call with total garbage. Overplays hands a little, stays in a little too long, but isn't a maniac, and can find a fold when smoked.

Hero is MP3 w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Two loose limpers from EP, Hero raises, CO Cold-calls, Blinds fold, Limpers call.

Flop (9.5 SB): A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Limpers check, Hero bets, CO Raises, Limpers Fold, Hero ???

At this point, villian probably doesn't have a set -- he's good enough to 3bet pre-flop w/ TT, QQ, or AA.

He might have KJ, but he could just as easily have a worse two pair, Ax of spades, KQ, even JT without a flush draw etc...

Which is usually more EV in this situation? 3bet the flop and lead the turn (call if capped and re-evaluate on the turn) or just call the raise and try for a check-raise on the turn if a safe card falls?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: 3bet flop or c/r turn HU with vulnerable hand (hypothetical)

Standard line for me given this board is to 3-bet and lead the turn because the thought of him raising the flop for a free card and getting it when I try to c/r the turn makes me want to vomit.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 PM

This board is way too dangerous to risk a whiffed c/r attempt. Lots of cards could come that you don't want villain to see cheaply.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard line for me given this board is to 3-bet and lead the turn because the thought of him raising the flop for a free card and getting it when I try to c/r the turn makes me want to vomit.

[/ QUOTE ]

in retrospect, this seems obvious...

If the board is less scary and less coordinated (AQ7 rainbow) does that make it worth an attempt at the turn c/r? How sure do you have to be that they'll bet again for it to be better than the 3bet? (assuming your hand is way less vulnerable than my original question)