Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 05:20 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Party Poker Button on Internet Explorer, can you say Invasive ! !

It hides it. Its still there and takes 5 clicks to unhide it. To remove it you must remove the registry entries that created it.

which i described in my post...

A person like you is someone who doesn't know what they are talking about but trys to act like they do.

care to wager on that?
Old 03-05-2004, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which i described in my post

[/ QUOTE ]

So you advocate normal computer users modifying their registries in order to remove software they didn't authorise to be loaded in the first place?

Or would it be better to just "not worry" about this until their computers crash due to registry bloat from all the "no big deal" software they didn't want or authorise.

Or would it be better for Party to ask if you want to install this "feature" and let everyone make their own decision?

And for the computer newbies, please explain in detail how to modify the registry to remove this button and Tool Menu option.

Old 03-05-2004, 05:51 PM

Winning players, many of whom have little or no need to hide their avocation, won't be nearly as upset about this as losing players who go to lengths to conceal their vice.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:53 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

So you advocate normal computer users modifying their registries in order to remove software they didn't authorise to be loaded in the first place?

please re-read my response

Or would it be better to just "not worry" about this until their computers crash due to registry bloat from all the "no big deal" software they didn't want or authorise.

we're talking about like 100 characters of text.

would it be better for Party to ask if you want to install this "feature" and let everyone make their own decision?

i have encountered many apps that place icons in the top-level of the start menu, desktop icons which will autosort to the top, quicklaunch menus, bookmarks, and toolbar icons without asking. i very much prefer that partypoker do this because it encourages people to play.

And for the computer newbies, please explain in detail how to modify the registry to remove this button and Tool Menu option.

this should work on windows 2000 and windows xp. of course, this is to be done at the user's own peril and is without warranty. here we go:

click on the start menu, click 'run', type in 'notepad' and hit enter. paste the bolded text below into the notepad screen.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1}]

click on the 'file' menu and select 'save as'. on the left, click 'desktop'. set the 'file name' to 'blah.reg'. click 'save' and exit notepad.

on your desktop, double-click 'blah.reg'. answer 'yes' when it asks if you want to add the information to your registry, and click 'ok' when it says that it was succesful. you may now delete the 'blah.reg' file (or pass it along to anyone that may want to remove the toolbar icon and tool menu entry). (i could host that 3-line file on one of my sites or pm it to people as well, but you asked me to describe how to do it.)
Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM

This isn't TurboTax. It's online poker software.
In fact, it's probably illegal in your state. Actually, if you're in Utah, it sure as hell is explicitly illegal. I'm not saying it's great crime against humanity, but it's not selling girl scout cookies or saving the f&%#ing manatees. Why do you expect them to adhere to what is expected of more socially acceptable companies? Many, if not most, of their clients are clientele are breaking the law by using their software.
If you're an IT guy, and you're concerned about what software is being installed, would you let anyone in your company install Party Poker on a company-owned computer?
I would say that most people don't care about this. They may find it annoying, but, like myself, it won't keep them from playing. Party may catch some flak for it, but any "real" negative backlash (people leaving the site and not coming back), would be limited to a small minority: people like youself who actually care that much.
And, as we know, Party (correctly) couldn't give two s#%^s about what the minority thinks, because there's no money in appeasing 5, 10, or even 100 people.
It's kind of a standard deal, actually. You downloaded and regularly use illegal online "gambling" software; don't be suprised if they do something (very minor) like this, even if you don't think it is the most respectable thing.
Also, the whole invasion of privacy idea is kind of silly. It's not a silent protection scheme, it's not spyware, it's not the boogy monster. It's a damn shortcut. The put one on your Desktop and Start Menu too, but I haven't heard any complaining about that either.

Just my two cents,
Mooney
Old 03-05-2004, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i very much prefer that partypoker do this because it encourages people to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 1 point we can agree on. It probably will bring in more fish more often.

And to end this thread I wil state that I think Party handled this all very badly. Installing any software on your customers computers without telling them is asking for problems.

My view of internet security may be different that others but I error on the side of caution. There are millions of computers out there that people have "no big deal" software infecting their systems and are right now speading 1 of 100's of viruses running rampant over the internet because people think its no big deal.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:12 PM

This is 1 point we can agree on. It probably will bring in more fish more often.

so why are you crying?

Installing any software on your customers computers without telling them is asking for problems.

it's not an application, it's a registry key. it only points to a web site and an application the user already intentionally visited and installed.

if you're ever interested in that wager, let me know.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:16 PM

Read the Terms of Service all the way through, there's probably something in there. And as I said at the start of this whole fiasco, if anybody can show me that its more than just a button (and a link, ok JD?), THEN you guys will have something to whine about. Get over this.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:31 PM

You missed some:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute.1]
@="IECmdExecute Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute.1\CLSID]
@="{B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute]
@="IECmdExecute Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute\CLSID]
@="{B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IEExtension.IECmdExecute\CurVer]
@="IEExtension.IECmdExecute.1"

In this next one it's only an added value, not the entire key (and incrementing the NextID counter):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\CmdMapping]
"NextId"=dword:00002002
"{B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1}"=dword:00002001

I just deleted all of them - no more toolbar entry. I agree with you though - I don't like *anything* installed on my systems without my consent. But you can see the problem (and it is a problem)based on most of the responses. ie "Who cares?". As long as people take that attitude the companies will just keep doing it.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:54 PM

i just saw it.... somehow i'm not bothered.