Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 12:24 PM

Default 2 hands with river questions

$1/$2NL

Hand #1) UTG, UTG+1 and MP limp. I raise to $12 with AA on the button. Only UTG+1 calls.

Hero ($350) Villain ($200). Ive never seen him before.

Pot is $31. Flop comes 752 with 2 clubs (I dont have Ac). he checks and I bet $24. he calls

Pot $79. Turn is a J (no flush) He checks, I bet $45 and he calls.

Pot $169. River is another 2. He checks and I check behind. I seem to do this alot. Check behind I mean. If he had me beat, he probably wouldve check raised the turn. But it seems that every time I get more aggressive on the river, I do it at the wrong time, so I revert back to passive river action.

What do you do on the river?

Hand #2) A new guy posted a blind in the cutoff. I open raise to $10 with AQ in MP. Folded to the SB who calls.

Hes brand new so no reads. We both have about $200

Pot is $24. The flop comes J92 rainbow. He checks and I bet $16 which he calls.

Pot is $56. Turn is a T. He leads out for $16. At this point I have no idea what he has. I have an openender getting 4.5:1 so I call.

Pot is $88. River is an ace. He checks. Im not confident enough that my ace gave me the winner to bet it. I check behind. I had almost exactly the right odds to call the turn bet just counting my outs to the straight, so I guess my turn call is still correct even if im not going to bet an ace , correct?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: 2 hands with river questions

I play these both almost exactly the same way. I don't think you can bet either river as you can't really expect worse hands to call you. With a read that opponent is a calling station, you could bet for value but without a read, I think checking behind is better in both cases.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 PM

I dunno, I'd probably make a smallish value bet on both of these rivers, folding to a raise.

On the second hand, you've got to be ahead. He led for under 1/3 of the pot on the turn and checked the river. Your A high Q kicker is very likely good there.

The first hand is tougher. Maybe it's a check, I'm torn. I'd probably make a very small value bet.. maybe $45. At 1/2 NL he's unlikely to make a move and come over the top unless he's ahead. You've shown a lot of strength and it's very likely that you're ahead here. He obviously folds if he has a flush draw but if he has 88-TT, he'll probably call and you'll be glad you bet it.

Ryan
Old 07-11-2005, 12:47 PM

First hand, I bet a bit more on the turn, around $60. I like the river check. Betting again sticks you. Second hand, I like all the way except I probably bet more on the flop if I'm betting more on the flop with AA (first hand). I don't think you are missing a lot of value, if any, by not value betting such marginal hands here when he is unlikely to pay you off with a worse hand. Even though you are more than 50% to be ahead, I doubt you are more than 50% to be ahead when called.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:49 PM

value bet both hands, fold to a big raise.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - do you really expect to be ahead here over 50% when called?

2 - define "a big raise". any advice that uses generalities like that is worthless.

3 - if you're going to fold to a check-raise then you're better off checking behind and seeing showdown rather than making the potentially huge mistake of folding the best hand.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - do you really expect to be ahead here over 50% when called?

2 - define "a big raise". any advice that uses generalities like that is worthless.

3 - if you're going to fold to a check-raise then you're better off checking behind and seeing showdown rather than making the potentially huge mistake of folding the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also none of these are deep-stacked enough for a big raise to be possible. So you have to either bet/fold or bet/call the only raises possible are pushes. And they both seem like they should be bet/fold except you would be getting pretty good odds in both places so they could very well be bet/calls but then you're backing your marginal hands with your stack which can't be right here, so I like checks.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:25 PM

hand 1: i bet the river here. i feel like he could easily have a pp, maybe 88. in general most players will lead into you here with their set; i'd value bet here.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1: i bet the river here. i feel like he could easily have a pp, maybe 88. in general most players will lead into you here with their set; i'd value bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in hand #1 I should definatley value bet. I cant believe he would check the river to me with a monster hand. He doesnt have enough left in relation to the pot to check raise bluff me. He had JT of clubs.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:57 PM

This is why you need to bet the turn more. He should c/r this turn all-in, by the way, and you should fold. And your check behind is good. I don't see what value you think you have in betting the river. Even with top pair here, he's not going to pay you off most likely. What are you betting with on all three streets?