Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Limping with suited Ace-rag...

...for nut-flush potential (and the occasional trips or two pairs). A lot of people don't do this and get mad at those who do.

But doesn't the math say that it's not much worse and possibly even better than playing a small PP for set potential (and the occassional four-to-the-straights) which most people do?

I'll admit that a small set is easy to not see compared to flushes and trips so maybe you don't get paid off as often but if it's more likely to hit that should count for something, doesn't it?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Limping with suited Ace-rag...

Also, when you make the nut flush, you will be making a lot of money from the people with lower flushes. The same thing can happen with sets, but it isn't as likely.(I don't know for sure, but I am guessing just based on the times I have seen flush over flush vs. set over set.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 AM

Yep I play this as a call from any position in clearly loose-passive games, and I'll call it from middle onwards if there were 3+ callers in front of me. Basically if I think I'll get 4-5 players in the flop without spending too much, it's a good one. I'd even raise in the Small Blind if there's 4-5 callers in before me sometimes.

If you hit the flush on the flop though, you need to slow play - it's sooo obvious what you have otherwise...

I also play Kxs and sometimes Qxs if the odds justify it and I'm in late so know how many are in, and it's almost certainly only 1 bet to see the flop - but I'm not sure about that so much - waiting to play enough hands to see if the stats bear that play out - at the moment it's about break even at 5K hands.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:39 AM

Mid to late posistion is okay for the Axs limp in NL.

I disagree with Kxs and Qxs, these are rag hands not worth it from any posistion.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:59 AM

I'll limp with them from mid-late position if there are other limpers ahead of me and if the blinds are tight I'll raise first in from LP.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:41 AM

A-rag suited is a good hand if you can see the flop for 1SB. The nut flush potential compined with the top pair potential makes it worth playing. Top pairs will sometimes be dominated, but not always. Also, reverse domintation scenarios can be very profitable. If you pair your bottom card on the flop, along with a flush draw or even a backdoor flush draw, then catch the ace on the turn or river, you can get a lot of action from an ace with a good kicker (but no two pair). Suited kings and queens are not as good, not only because they make non-nut (but usually winning) flushes, but because they are not as strong top pair hands.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Playing Axs with any a middle-low kicker is almost never worth it. You won't make the flush often enough to show profit based on the pots you'll win. New/weak players that frequent micro-limit games are especially wary of flush draws. If three of your suit are on the board, most will fold to your bet, and if a fourth falls, forget it. If you don't make your flush and an ace comes, it will most likely be beat by another ace with a higher kicker.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing Axs with any a middle-low kicker is almost never worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. i think 2+2 has reached a new low
Old 05-24-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing Axs with any a middle-low kicker is almost never worth it. You won't make the flush often enough to show profit based on the pots you'll win. New/weak players that frequent micro-limit games are especially wary of flush draws. If three of your suit are on the board, most will fold to your bet, and if a fourth falls, forget it. If you don't make your flush and an ace comes, it will most likely be beat by another ace with a higher kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the worst post I have ever read on 2+2. Not even Rolf Slotboom is that weak.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:52 PM

You have never played a game of poker in your life, have you? New players don't fear flushes in the least.

And you won't most likely be beat by an ace with a higher kicker, most likely there won't be a higher ace out there. When there is you lose money, but not more than you gain from when there isn't, or when you make a flush, two pair or trips.