Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Losing Concentration

After playing my best game for most of the weekend, last night I felt rushed and irritated, and definitely made impatient plays I wouldn't have made under normal circumstances. I thought about it later and think that's one of the main things that separates a great player like Phil Ivy from a lot of players who for even 4-5 hours at a time can play very well. It's also an ocassional leak in my game I know I need to work on (I don't go on tilt since I've played SNG's, but I do sometimes play when I'm not really into it). I don't really know if there's an answer here other than to concentrate more, but I'm just wondering if any of you who constantly multi-table for hours on ends have any tricks to keep your mind in the game, and quickly recognize when it isn't.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Losing Concentration

Excellent question. I don't know the answer. One question to ask, perhaps, is why are you playing -- at that moment in time? I wonder whether answers like boredom, trying to get even, feeling obligated to put in the hours, etc., are clues that your session isn't going to go well. Put differently, if you only play when you really *want* to, I would imagine your results would improve. Perhaps this is part of the reason poker is said to be a great second job, but a piss poor first one -- because the grinder, to put in the hours required, can't (easily) choose not to play.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:09 AM

It's all about pacing your Heineken intake. This varies greatly between individuals, but personally I've found that one to start, and one per 8-table session keeps my concentration on even keel for up to 12 hours.

More than that and a little gamboool starts to creep into my game. Less than that and Delirium Tremens prevents reliable use of the mouse.

Again, this is one of those things that I normally wouldn't discuss on this forum because it is so valuable that I am probably making a huge mistake by giving this advice away for free.

Irieguy
Old 01-12-2005, 03:16 AM

Whenever I see your picture I think of lighting up a big spliff -- is that your secret weapon if the Heinekens aren't doing it for ya? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, neither of those vices are as valuable as knowing the drugs Frozen takes to stay on an even keel. I didn't even know one could actually function well enough to play poker on the drugs he'd take, let alone slice and dice the 215s.

Speaking of which, where'd that guy go? He could be/was a wealth of SNG advice/opinion.

Yugoslav
Old 01-12-2005, 03:24 AM

rehab and or morgue I would guess
Old 01-12-2005, 03:25 AM

I try to only play when I've remembered to take my ADHD meds. Nope, not kidding.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:29 AM

Allegedly that was what Frozen took all his crap for. He claimed no conventional meds would take the edge off to give him the patience for the 215s.

Ah well. He had some solid ideas/posts, so I hope he's comin' back (I hope even more that he's not in the morgue).

Yugoslav
Old 01-12-2005, 03:32 AM

Ah well. He had some solid ideas/posts, so I hope he's comin' back (I hope even more that he's not in the morgue).

Just to second those remarks.

I wasn't in this forum much back when Frozen was posting, but his contributions to the zoo were also very valuable.

Lori
Old 01-12-2005, 04:35 AM

I agree, I learned as much from his hand histories as anywhere else, guy had some seriose issues though.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to only play when I've remembered to take my ADHD meds. Nope, not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure nobody thinks you're kidding. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]