Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Worst (Poker) Night Ever (negligible, if any, content)

I had my worst night ever playing STTs last night. 20 games at the $100s. 1 first, 1 second, 1 third -- the one first on the last game of the night (semi-phew). Partly variance, but I think after a point mostly bad play trying too hard to get even. Two worst plays that I can remember: (1) 4 left, big stack in big blind, me in small blind, non-crazy medium stack UTG goes all in (had me covered), tiny stack folded (would have blinded out that circuit, I think), I called with AQs, I lost, tiny stack gave thanks. Dumb, dumb, dumb; (2) Raised 3x bb from early position with something like 66; someone called. Flop came QJT. Caller went all in. I was losing to essentially *every single hand he might reasonable have had* and I knew it (Ace-face; K-face; a single Q, J, or T; 99, 88, 77). But I called anyway (and, no, it was not a stop & go with 22, 33, 44, or 55). Starting to play the $100s with only $500 in a new account might have been a mistake, too, even if my bankroll in the other account was adequate -- nothing like losing 90% of your roll for that account in a single shot and not being able to reload (debit card restrictions). So down around $1200 for the night, doubling the loss of the previous 'worst (recorded) day ever'. I did have a positive ROI in the 4 $10 games I ended the night with. Supa sweet!

Plan to play again tonight: I have a positive ROI in the game, I think I can start out playing smart. Not sure I can cut it off if I hit another bad run. Curious to hear any thoughts/advice.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Worst (Poker) Night Ever (negligible, if any, content)

just because i've done this type of thing before, and I think many have at some point, the _second_ you feel the "ah screw it - call" desire, stop. If you play well and have the play rewarded then I expect it'll be easy to get into your groove. But if you're still fuming slightly, which is seems like you are, think about the last few days and ask if you really want to drop another grand tonight....
I'm sure you know all this, just know that everyone goes through it and you can bounce right back with good solid play.
good luck!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:37 PM

Thanks, good advice. I'll try to follow it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 PM

The hardest thing for me to do is walk away when I lose a hand I thought I played really well.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hardest thing for me to do is walk away when I lose a hand I thought I played really well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're touching upon a good area of this topic.

If you play a hand poorly and you lose, you know why and can't really say much about it.

If you think you played a well and still lose, you have to have the skill to know what the objective view of the situation is. On some hands, you can't know. Given reads, probabilities, and the various forms of input that go into your calculations that determine your play, there can be plenty of unknowns, so you may not have made the obviously right or wrong choice. Often though, and especially the more you play, I think you can develop a feeling of "damn, I really shouldn't have been in that hand" or "ok, so they sucked out on me, that's poker".

I played at a $4-$8 table at foxwoods recently. First two hands I played were AK (first hand dealt) and AA.
Lost the first one to a boat made with 84o (while hitting my A on the flop) and the second to a runner-runner diamond flush.
I knew I had played the hands almost perfectly and couldn't beat myself up about it too much.

Now, other times when I call an all in with A10 and see the obvious AK, then I feel stupid and know I have a leak to plug.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:56 PM

But even at a larger level. Like busting out of a s&g or multi this way, and then playing a higher buy in to "win it back"

Certainly signs of a gambling problem.

Ugh for me.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But even at a larger level. Like busting out of a s&g or multi this way, and then playing a higher buy in to "win it back"

Certainly signs of a gambling problem.

Ugh for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh, yes. I believe that the double + 1 betting strategy is provably correct if you have infinite money. I'm not quite there yet, so I'm always hesitant when I see myself betting more or playing higher than I should to win things back. One thing i've learned already from these forums is that you shouldn't move up to the next level until your ready for it in all senses of the word.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:12 PM

I've just started quad tabling (rather than 1 or 2 as I've been playing) and average about one completely braindead play per set of four so I know where you're coming from.

FWIW the AQs call is good and I make it every time. Can't play for third there.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:39 PM

Hi,
I am new at poker but I have played high stakes backgammon for years. from my experience, bad play is highly correlated with bad luck (as expected...). now I have heared alot of stories, but I tell you this: everybody steams!!
the difference between good and bad players is the ability to stop playing...(and sometimes to play with only few mistakes). the first time I layed down a grand it felt so bad...not because of the money but because I was so disgusted from myself- I made a few costly errors. in backgammon there is a software that shows you mistakes, if you take the time to analyze post game.
in poker no such software exsist (as far as I know), so you must be even more carefull. the fact that you know you didnt play your best game is very important - only you can fix your leaks.
take care and take it easy...its part of the game, and it will make you stronger.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:00 PM

Hey, at least you had a first, second and third. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If it's any consolation, I've gone 0 for 20 (22 actually) at the $215s - with a couple of WTFWIT plays near the end. Pure, absolute pain. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It's one of the challenges of playing SNGs, especially as you move up in limits. Your long-term win rate is measured not only by how well you're capable of playing, but how well you're capable of not playing poorly - even when Party & Skins are giving you every reason to.

I still get pissed during bad streaks, but I'm much better able to shrug and say "long run" or something like that, then play my best going forward. Practice makes perfect (or better at least). Kind of a "take pride in making the best of it when you get screwed." The mindset/attitute one has in the face of such adversity is ultimately of one's own choosing.

I find my most common mistake when running bad is to not want to lay down hands I know I should lay down (e.g. the AQs on the bubble - the 66 hand speaks for itself). I think everyone has this problem. Being aware of it, and doing your best to combat it should help as well.