Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-24-2005, 01:50 AM

Default new computer...i know zip

Hi, any advice would be appreciated. I am looking to get a new computer and think I only need the basics. Want to play poker, bank online and minimally surf. Downloading music is also something I'm interested in.

A computer shop close by says all i need is semperon 2600+, 512 mb, 40gb hard drive, DVD +/- dual layer.

Also offering 17" Acer LCD.

Is this a good thing to go with?

Any suggestions to ask computer store about? I just don't want to get something and find out it is inadequate.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: new computer...i know zip

dell.com
Old 11-24-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: new computer...i know zip

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, any advice would be appreciated. I am looking to get a new computer and think I only need the basics. Want to play poker, bank online and minimally surf. Downloading music is also something I'm interested in.

A computer shop close by says all i need is semperon 2600+, 512 mb, 40gb hard drive, DVD +/- dual layer.

Also offering 17" Acer LCD.

Is this a good thing to go with?

Any suggestions to ask computer store about? I just don't want to get something and find out it is inadequate.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer you just listed is basically a bottom on the line model. yes its cheap but I wouldn't get it unless you are pinched for funds.

I would suggest you go for a Intel P4 processor or an Athlon 64 processor. 512 meg minimum memory (1 gig even better). The 17" LCD monitor you listed will not show 4 tables without overlap. You need at least 1600x1200 resolution. LCD's at this resolution are more expensive than CRT's. CRT's are much bigger though. 40 gig hard drive is weak. Get at least 80 gig. DVD burner is nice but not necessary unless you plan on burning DVD's. Get it if you can afford it. If not get a good DVD/CD burner.

Also make sure you get a decent set of speakers, a good mouse and keyboard. The bundled offers with the low end computers are satisfactory at best.

This would be more in line with what I would suggest.

System

CRT Monitor

LCD Monitor