Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Yo homies, Wannabe\'

REPOST (from the board which shall not be named)

I really want to be a LAG and win? Any suggestions. Not like, super LAGy just lil' bit, maybe more.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Yo homies, Wannabe\'

raise more with position

c-bet more

fire more second barrels against non-calling stations

bet good draws hard, as well as made hands

watch as you get paid off
Old 10-04-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
REPOST (from the board which shall not be named)

I really want to be a LAG and win? Any suggestions. Not like, super LAGy just lil' bit, maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... loosen up a bit and play a bit more aggressively. Seriously, what are you asking here?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM

It can't be that easy. Sounds like game selection would be important. My OP was written a little humorous but was meant to be taken as a real question. Not that you didn't take it seriously. I just wanted to point that out.

What about starting hands?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It can't be that easy. Sounds like game selection would be important. My OP was written a little humorous but was meant to be taken as a real question. Not that you didn't take it seriously. I just wanted to point that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a line in Harrington On Hold 'Em, Vol. 1, where he is describing the aggressive style in which he says something like "position doesn't matter very much to the aggressive player." This has intrigued me since the first time I read it, and I have basically experimented with playing lag by keeping my same hand requirements but loosening the position I will play them from. Mixed results in maybe 1000 hands--offering my experience just as an example of one way you could loosen up a bit, not actually suggesting it, since it's too early to tell whether this is going to work out (it tends to raise my VP$IP about 6%, it seems).
Old 10-04-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its not that easy which makes explaining it in a forum even harder.

the thing with playing LAG is that too much of it depends on opponents thus its hard to come up with a starting hand chart.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:21 PM

ITS NOT THE CARDS YOU ARE DEALT, IT'S HOW YOU PLAY'EM

seriosuly though, learn ABC first.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:32 PM

it doesnt make that much sense to play very LAG at lower limits for a couple reasons

1. theyre very easy to beat with ABC play

2. an integral part of lag play is the image. when people see you bluff/showdown crap cards they pay you off more. at the lower stakes games there is a much much larger group of players, you run in people less often and most people arent even paying attention.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ITS NOT THE CARDS YOU ARE DEALT, IT'S HOW YOU PLAY'EM

seriosuly though, learn ABC first.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would make you think I haven't? I've been playing TAG NL for 1 year
1/2. I should have included that in the OP. Sorry. At 2-6 hours a day that's a lot of [censored] hands. I don't run PT and I'm not going to figure out exactly how many hands. I would say the same thing to someone who asked that question if they were just begining but I'm looking to change styles. I try to remember what Miyagi said, "First learn stand, then learn fly." Great line. I can stand.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it doesnt make that much sense to play very LAG at lower limits for a couple reasons

1. theyre very easy to beat with ABC play

2. an integral part of lag play is the image. when people see you bluff/showdown crap cards they pay you off more. at the lower stakes games there is a much much larger group of players, you run in people less often and most people arent even paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. Are you saying I should play higher limits? My BR really can't handle anything more than 1/1. If you're trying to convince me to not learn another style of play, than I understand, but I'm still going to anyway. I'd appreciate help with learning that new style. I need to stop eating ice cream and typing.