Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 03:25 PM

Default River Bluff live game

Playing 1/2 yesterday and I'm up a considerable amount after four hours. Game is playing very different than usual, today is very agg.

Every single time I've bet the river I've won in showdown.

Folds around to me on the button and I raise.

SB three bets, BB folds.

All I can tell you about the SB is that he's probably nearing seventy and is drinking Mcallans like it was water. The way he's playing doesnt really fit a style per se, because I saw him cap pocket 7's and go into call down mode when he flopped bottom set on an A high board. In another hand, he bet and raised with the nut flush draw and capped a flush-board pairing river card and lost to a full house.I've also seen him limp AK in mp. I've seen the guy fold two nines to a PFR'r when he was bet into on a 8-high flop. There's no rhyme or reason to his actions and I can;t figure out if there's a method to his madness or if he just short circuits and plays totally goofy. He seems to be fairly tight PF, but plays backwards most of the time.

Anyways, let me start over. Folded to me, I raise from the button with A3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and SB three bets. BB folds.
I cap. He calls.

Flop

2 5 9 one [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets, I call.

Turn

2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Doesn't give me a straight flush draw, but gives me a flush/straight draw none the less.

He bets, I raise, he double takes his hand and calls.

River

6x

check, I bet.

Tex
Old 12-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: River Bluff live game

donk donk... I would play more straight foward against a drunk rich guy whose play makes no sense.
But what do I know?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Your bet doesn't seem that bad, but a check is probably better. Two observations:

1) Your description seems to be of a fellow who is passive with his made hands but aggressive with his draws. Therefore, he very well could have a busted draw. The only thing we're worried about is him accidentally hitting the 6 on the river if he had some sort of crazy gutshot or a flush draw like yourself.
2) Your river bet is good if you think he'll fold out a pair of 5s or 9s. But if that's the case, why did he check his hand on the turn?

In conclusion, I'd say to check and win with ace high vs. his gutshot or flush draw. But it's a close decision. The big reason I might bet here is to disguise that you would raise the turn with a draw (from your prior descriptions of this game denying the passive players this information may be valuable enough to bet.)
Old 12-06-2005, 04:38 PM

I think you played it fine. I like the bet on the river. Give him a chance to fold A/big, which is what I think he probably has. Sometimes he'll show you a pocket pair (he might have AA and was double taking to see if he had the Ah), and you'll lose. Sometimes you'll get called by king-high. But either way, so what? I've said this before, but I don't mind getting caught speeding once in a while. Especially in the type of private game you're playing in. If he calls and you lose, laugh it off. Act like you were just gambling and having fun. This is what keeps you getting invited back, even when when you start crushing the game.