Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Need help deciding when to raise...

Hey everyone, I just finished my first 1k or so hands at party and cleared out that bonus. However, now I am looking over my stats for those first 1k hands, and I don't like that I raise only 3.2% of the time. My AF is 1.66, so that's not bad, but I really don't like that I am only raising three percent of hands.

I'll post the big hands and the percentage of time I raise. In general, I find myself almost always playing JJ or TT for set value. I know this is weak, so any help on when I should raise would help. Just take a look at let me know. I know this is a small sample size, and the cards have run like crap of late, but what do you think. (By the way, my win rate is at 0.48 PTBB/100 mostly because AA is barely a winner, KK is down 30 and QQ is also a loser. KK in particular lost me an all-in preflop against 77 and I folded postflop when I bet out and got raised the pot and another guy called, figured I was against a set, both guys showed AJ for just top pair. So some variance there...)

AA 100% (had 6 times)
AKs 80% (5)
AKo 67% (12)
AQs 33% (3)
AQo 50% (19)
AJs 67% (3)
AJo 0% (12)
ATs 0% (4)
KK 50% (8)
KQs 0% (7)
KQo 0% (11)
QQ 50% (2)
JJ-22 0%

I know this is bad, I'd appreciate some recommendations or general guidelines. What should I raise with in MP especially. All of these should be a raise in LP, I try to only raise in EP with AA, KK, QQ, AKs/o, maybe AQs/o. Thanks guys.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Need help deciding when to raise...

[ QUOTE ]
almost always playing JJ or TT for set value. I know this is weak

[/ QUOTE ]

it is?

i raise JJ/TT if i'm first in from about MP2 or later, if some one else is in you can pretty much raise or just call for set value, in my experience both work well

[ QUOTE ]
and I don't like that I raise only 3.2% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

why not? i've had a good 30K hands or so with about this pfr (i've loosened up since), so this is not neccessarily a bad thing

basically, i don't see anything wrong with raising AA/KK/QQ/AK in early position (where talking < 400NL right?) and then loosening up to whatever you're comfortable with in later position

you MUST NEVER fold a small pocket pair in any position if no one has raised, and if some one has raised you generally call if his raise is ~10% or less of his total stack

one more thing: 1K hands is almost nothing, so looking at PTBB/100 will not tell you anything yet
Old 08-10-2005, 12:53 AM

I agree that this looks fine. I think the standard advice is if you want to raise more hands, stay tight in EP and MP, and start raising a few more hands in LP, especially if no-one has limped.

Also, attemping to steal the blinds in CO/button as little as once every three orbits will add three percent to your prf%. I think stealing can be a large fraction of a LAGs prf% especially at 6max.

edit... why have you only raised KK 50%? If limped to you should virtually always raise, and if raised to you should very often reraise.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:55 AM

I think that your biggest mistake is limping 99-JJ for "set value." Since you are 7.5 to 1 against flopping a set, you have to raise these hands in order to fold-out speculative hands like A-rag suited and the lower suited connectors that can draw-out on you. These hands have very good value PF, and by limping them, you are negating a lot of that value. Another problem is some of the better players will notice what you are doing, they'll be raising 88-JJ and folding when you call and overcards flop. If you had at least 5 players to each flop that you saw limping 88-JJ, you might be getting the right implied (or "set odds") to make this play about break-even. IMO, raising these hands, especially from EP and MP will increase your PFR% and help increase your win-rate as well.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had at least 5 players to each flop that you saw limping 88-JJ, you might be getting the right implied (or "set odds") to make this play about break-even. IMO, raising these hands, especially from EP and MP will increase your PFR% and help increase your win-rate as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

i strongly disagree, any number of players is a good number of players to limp with JJ-88 IMO, implied odds are enourmous
Old 08-10-2005, 02:54 AM

The implied odds (in no/pot limit) are there, but they do increase proportionally along with the number of players in the hand. I should have stressed that the "real" value in these hands is that they are "made hands." If played correctly (against 1 or 2 players) they will be positive EV. I don't think that you need to raise everytime in every position with these hands, but you should be raising at least 65% of the time to get the most "value" from them. Playing them 100% of the time as "speculative hands" is not going to be +EV IMO. Check your PT stats to see how you are doing with each hand, try raising them and compare your results. Another benefit to raising PF is your post-flop decisions will be much easier.
P.S. Don't take my word for it, but definitely read "Harrington on Hold'em" Vol. 1 for a better explaination of the points that I'm trying to make.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:14 AM

Sorry, KK raise percentage is 100%, not 50%...50% is my win rate with KK so far...not great.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JJ-22 0%

[/ QUOTE ]
If there are a few limpers or if everyone folds to me on the CO or Button, I'll sometimes raise with these pairs. You can often win the pot on the flop with a continuation bet if it is checked to you. Sometimes everyone will fold preflop and you'll win the blinds (especially if the blinds are tight players). There are also times when you'll spike a set and you've already built the pot up.