Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Stop and Go on the bubble....good or bad?

28 people left. Im 7th in chips with apprx 20k.

Hero is in SB.

Villian MP+1.

Villain had not been raising too many pots but a frequent amount since he had just been moved to table. He had around 38k in chips.

SB---600
BB---1200

Villain raises to 4200, Hero calls with AKo and intent to stop and go.

Flop--- 8 9 Q Rainbow and Hero pushes. My thoughts were that he really had to have a monster to call my all in right here and that since we were on the bubble his hand would need to be even stronger. Do you guys think I should have waited for a better spot or do you like this play?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Stop and Go on the bubble....good or bad?

Why do you stop and go? What do you want to accomplish? Why does he need a strong hand to call you on the bubble?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:47 AM

This doesnt seem to be a good place for the Stop N Go...Re-read Raymer's post in the wisdom sticky.

For what it's worth, on the bubble if i am going to play that hand, i am raising all-in preflop and only slightly crying if i get called and beat. Once on the bubble, i play for first and not money though (this has busted me on the bubble a few times, but has usually been enough when i can do it properly to get me deepish in the money).

Push-pre
Old 11-27-2005, 03:12 PM

Figured he needed a stron hand because if he called me and lost it would wipe out more than half of hit stack. I have read raymers wisdom on the stop and go...thought I picked a good time for it but he called with tens and they held up. I was pretty dissapointed to see he made the call with tens but then again he was a donk that found his way that far. Frustrating but oh well...next time I will prob just push pre-flop, but he was prob calling anyways if he could call that bet on the flop.

IMO turned out to be the best situation since he was holding tens and a Q flopped. So that makes me ask was it a bad call by him?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:30 PM

He had a strong hand and made a good call.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Figured he needed a stron hand because if he called me and lost it would wipe out more than half of hit stack. I have read raymers wisdom on the stop and go...thought I picked a good time for it but he called with tens and they held up. I was pretty dissapointed to see he made the call with tens but then again he was a donk that found his way that far. Frustrating but oh well...next time I will prob just push pre-flop, but he was prob calling anyways if he could call that bet on the flop.

IMO turned out to be the best situation since he was holding tens and a Q flopped. So that makes me ask was it a bad call by him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling him a donk is pretty insulting, IMO. With only one over to his Ts, he can look at pot odds here and make a decision. Also, he may actually be a solid player who thinks you could have AK and missed. Don't get upset and insulting when you get called on a bluff.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:59 PM

mlg and strassa discuss SnG"s, scroll up to top of thread. its HORRIBLE to SnG with AK
Old 11-27-2005, 05:38 PM

I don't like the post-flop push at all. It screams AK missing the flop, and I see this all the time. IMO, you have to decide to reraise pf, and put the MP raiser to a tough decision. Why flat-call, knowing that he has a hand (MP+1 is too early a position to be a steal, and on the bubble, only the a top level player is going to make a move with less than a decent PP.) If you just call here w AK, you know that you are going to miss the flop about 65% of the time, and you also know that your ace-high is not going to be good. If you want to pull a stop and go, you have to make a smaller bet here, one that is not a scared overbet. Reraise pf, and make him decide if he wants a race for most of his chips.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:28 PM

I wasnt calling him a donk based on his call. It was based off of all of his previous table decisions, and I had to intention of insulting him for making the call...that was the read I had on him before the hand even started.

If I could do it over I would have just pushed before the flop. I guess I was trying to be too clever when it wasnt necessary.

Thanks for the advice.