Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 04:44 PM

Default ATs against an extremely passive fish.

Villain is loose, and absurdly passive post flop - 66/8/0.2. WSD runs around 37%, so it's hard to get him to fold.

Stacks:

Hero - 107
CO - 76

Hero is in MP w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop <font color="blue"> (6 players) </font> : UTG <font color="red"> raises </font> to $2, Hero <font color="red"> raises </font> to $6, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

($15.50) Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero bets $15, CO calls
<font color="green"> This is a pretty standard continuation bet for me. When villain cold called like that I put him on a K or a spade draw and planned to fold the turn UI. But..... </font>

($45.50) Turn <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font> :
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets $25, CO calls
<font color="green"> Villains call now makes me think the flush draw is most likely. </font>

($95.50) River:
4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="green"> Flush draw missed so...</font> Hero bets $30, CO calls (all-in) for $30.

Too aggressive with this line?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: ATs against an extremely passive fish.

I like to fold preflop. Definitely don't reraise.

Now you have CO cold-calling your reraise preflop, so he's going to have a pocket pair or a strong broadway connector, probably suited, something decent. He may have 66% VPIP but he knows there are two guys in front of him with strong holdings.

Now on the flop, since you've reraised with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], your continuation bet is huge... but still necessary I think. Sucks that you reraised preflop though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The villain calls your flop bet and you improve on the turn, but now there are three broadway cards on board and three flush cards. It's not looking pretty. Since he called, he has something. I consider checking the turn, and hope the CO checks behind so I can see a cheap showdown. If he bets big I'm folding.

The opponent is passive... a bit of a calling station. If this is true, I think you can slow down and if he doesn't have anything, he'll slow down too. If he really wakes up with a big bet you can safely fold.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:32 PM

really pretty standard....I would play it the same I guess. I'm not folding the river for $30 and neither is he probably but he might check behind so I'd lead it.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 PM

Depending on your reads for UTG...this is a very questionable call, and definitely not a place for a reraise. If UTG was a maniac raising with anything, then this might be acceptable as an isolation play. This play requires that those yet to act don't see that you are probably making the isolation play as well. The call of a raise and a reraise, even by a LP would make me a little nervous.
I don't understand the logic behind your "continuation" bet. If it's hard to get this guy to fold post-flop, why make a pot-sized continuation bet into a scary board. The 10 helps almost any high-card straight draw, and the flop is 3-suited and you don't have one. If he's not aggressive post-flop, why not check this flop to him? You have almost totally missed the flop (middle pair) and a reasonable (1/2 pot-size) cont. bet would even be questionable in this situation.
You got bailed out on the turn, although I have a suspicion that you might have made second best hand here. AT is the kind of hand that is very, very good at making second best hand. Check your PT stats to see how you do with it against any raise.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to fold preflop. Definitely don't reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

All play was pretty standard except preflop. I think the reraise preflop led to the continuation bet on the flop. Once you hit the turn you're stuck. Without the reraise preflop you may have been able to get away from the hand. I always want to leave myself room to fold if I'm not sure my hand is best. You didn't really leave yourself room to fold this.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:54 PM

Too agressive against a Calling Station. You have no idea Whether he has a flush,K, or AK? If this person is a true CS/Fish, your Flop bet was too big on this scarry board. usually CS' have a calling threshold that is not that large. Sure you will in some pots from them but the ones they win tend to be large, similar to this one. Mainly because most people try to push them off pots with mediocre holdings, like a pair of tens/TK. There's a flush on the board a K (CS usually do not fold TP). YOu have to take it slower aginst CS, is this the type of CS that won't bet till the river with the nuts?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:14 AM

I don't like the river bet. if he missed a draw, he folds, if he calls, he almost always has you beat. What's he calling you with here that you beat? With an opponent this passive, you really have no fear of a missed flush bluff on the river. I think it's a check/fold situation with the flush and straight possibilities against this villain.