Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Should I force my Mom\'s Hand????

As many of you know, I live in Meridian, MS with my mother. I moved back in when my father passed away. She is in debt and I have been paying tons of her bills (House, car, etc). She has issues with me bringing anyone home, so my private life and sex life is almost nonexistant. She does not make enough in a month to pay for her house, car, electric, etc. She has never dealt with her greif from the passing of my father. She does not have the money to pay for and maintain this house, but she refuses to sell it because "My Father bought it as their retirement home." No 64 year old widow needs a 2000+ sq ft 4 bed 2 bath brick home on an acre of land. She constantly says things like "If your father was alive we would have almost $5K a month in income" when she is "borrowing"(With no hope of ever paying it back) money from me.

If I move out into an apartment, She would basically be forced to put the house up for sale. I am paying a house payment of over $800 a month for my mother. I thought she would deal with her greif and move on but it is now 4 1/2 years later and I am still here paying the bills, so she can keep her memories here.

Should I force her hand and just say enough is enough? Or am I just being a cold hearted SOB. Anyone else and I would have left long ago but this is my mother.

Living in Mississippi is cheap, I can get a nice 1/1 apartment for less that $400 here.

What should I do???

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Should I force my Mom\'s Hand????

really tough situation
Old 10-14-2005, 01:51 AM

This is a really tough spot. Have you considered subletting or taking on a boarder? The only reason that I would not want to give up the house is because it seems like it is a very nice place and you might want to keep it for yourself down the line.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:51 AM

Buy the house from her? your name should definitly be on the papers if you've been paying for years...

get her on one of those 'reverse morgatages'?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else and I would have left long ago but this is my mother.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is your mother. you have to find a way to deal. that's the way it is, imo... sucks, but... it's your mother.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:00 AM

why pay $400 for a 1/1 apt. when you can pay $800 for a 4/2 house???

Put up with your mom - she put up with you.

Unless you can't afford the house payments, then you must find a way to get her to sell.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a really tough spot. Have you considered subletting or taking on a boarder? The only reason that I would not want to give up the house is because it seems like it is a very nice place and you might want to keep it for yourself down the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a nice place if she had kept up with the little things that need to be done on it. She refinanced with one of those 125% equity loans. She actually owes more that it is worth.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 AM

Whew, I'm relieved that wasn't a sex question.

Seriously though, that sure is a big burden for someone going to school. Or even someone not going to school. I don't know how I'd do anything that wouldn't feel like the wrong choice.

It does seem like your mom really should come to grips with reality, though. Those reverse mortgage deals are a good idea, but you're out of work, right? Don't know if that matters.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is your mother. you have to find a way to deal. that's the way it is, imo... sucks, but... it's your mother.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why pay $400 for a 1/1 apt. when you can pay $800 for a 4/2 house???

Put up with your mom - she put up with you.

Unless you can't afford the house payments, then you must find a way to get her to sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

She will not put my name on the deed even though I am paying the damn bills, and if there is any equity in this house when she dies the house is to be sold and the profit split 3 ways between me, my brother, and my sister. Yet I am the only one contribution anything. So even if I was making $800 a month payments that are just equity, I would only get back $266.67 of my investment.

That is why a $400 1/1 is better than an $800 4/2.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:01 AM

its a tough situation but it seems like things have to change and the sooner the better. Either get your brother and sister to help, have her take borders, or move out. The situation is hard on her, but if after 4 1/2 years she hasn't let it go, then she probably isn't going to. If living with her is putting your life on hold, then either she has to change or you have to move out. Why not talk to the rest of the family and try to explain your position.
Basically it is a shitty position, but something should be done.