Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Minor error in King Yao\'s book

kinda nit-picky, but def. and error, on page 91, in the "when there is a raise and more than 1 bet to call" section of pot odds chapter.

YOu have the read on your opponents, so you say there's 42 unknown cards, but then in the DIPO calculation, you use 42 as the non-outs instead of 36.

it doesn't change the result, just a small typo.

BTW, the book is great so far. i just got it, and i don't think i'm goign to be able to put it down until i've finished it.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Minor error in King Yao\'s book

Thank you, nice catch. I really appreciate anyone pointing out errors. If there's an issue about posting it on 2+2's forum, you can always email me directly at kingyao@comcast.net

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2005, 09:44 PM

Not sure if this is an error or my mis-interpretation. On pg. 160 is a table showing JJ vs. TT and higher. It shows JJ vs. JJ with a Win % of 50%. I know that each hand has an equal chance to win but as a pure Win% it should be around 2.2% as most hands will draw.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is an error or my mis-interpretation. On pg. 160 is a table showing JJ vs. TT and higher. It shows JJ vs. JJ with a Win % of 50%. I know that each hand has an equal chance to win but as a pure Win% it should be around 2.2% as most hands will draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think its an error, but it could very well be that it is not clear in the book. When I wrote that JJ has a 50% Win Pct against JJ, I meant that in terms of what each hand should expect to get out of the pot. This number is used to calculate the total pot equity.

If others found this confusing also, please let me know...maybe I should adjust it slightly to make it clearer.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Personally, i think it might be more confusing if you had win% instead of equity... and in these spots you're trying to show where the turning point (to break even given postition and dead money), so it seems that pot equity is much more meaningful than win %.

maybe the column could be called "equity%" instead of win% ?? then maybe the column that's currently labled "equity" column could be changed to "total equity" or something?? I'm not sure how you would best make i clear, but I believe that the numbers on the chart you have are the important ones, and if anything you should probably change he column titles.