Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 02:21 AM

Default KK in the BB, whoops I built a big pot

NL newb here. how did I do? no need to go gentle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Texas Hold'em No Limit EUR 1.00/2.00

I sat down at the table about 20 minutes ago, and have won a number of small/medium pots. I haven't had to show down a hand yet. bought in short for 60, and haved doubled up to 120. villian has me covered. we haven't tangled yet, so I really don't have a read.

UTG limps, 2 folds, villian calls, I raise to 7.25, utg calls, villian calls

Flop 6d - 4d - 9h

villian Checks, I bet 31 (more than the pot), UTG folds, villian calls 31

Turn 6d - 4d - 9h - Tc

villian checks, I push (79.85), which is a bit bigger than the pot
Old 12-17-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: KK in the BB, whoops I built a big pot

Raise more pre-flop, I'd make it at least $12. I don't like the flop overbet, you should bet more like 3/4 of the pot which should be your standard continuation bet. Turn looks fine, I'm not really sure what else you can do there.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:49 AM

As stated, raising more pre will allow you to get all in here much easier, instead of having to overbet twice. You want to build a big pot against one opponent with kings, you just want to do it when you are sure you have the biggest edge.

My difficulties with turn is that nothing really calls you you're ahead of, wouldn't be too suprised to see 66 or 44s here, considering the flat calls of your over bets.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My difficulties with turn is that nothing really calls you you're ahead of, wouldn't be too suprised to see 66 or 44s here, considering the flat calls of your over bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

do I want a call though?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:57 AM

Not from a thinking player. Your play represents an overpair and only 2pair or better from a thinking player makes the call.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:08 AM

Why do these forums accept and recommend pushes in many marginal situations like this? Maybe this situation is different since his flop bet was quite a lot. But most people state to preflop bet more, then bet 3/4 of the pot.. and then a push when a weak card comes....

Why not bet 2/3-3/4 of the pot on the turn to allow a flush to draw incorrectly, or another overpair to pay you off?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:12 AM

raise to 14 preflop, hand plays itself then when your are short.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:26 AM

Is it just me or is a raise 6x BB more than usual for 2 limpers? Anyway I don't want to both of them to fold preflop so I'd bump it to 8 or 10. In regards to the postflop action, we have no description of the villain so its most likely you are ahead on the turn. I think betting the size of the pot is fine, but also I have no problem with the overbet. For all we know the villain just doesn't want to get rid of his flush draw, or top pair, so you might as well make him pay if he wants to stick around. Of course you are getting your money into this pot every single time being short, and expecting to be a pretty big favorite. (btw smaller overpairs will still pay off the short stack)
Old 12-17-2005, 04:29 AM

6x BB is standard behind 2 limpers.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Results/Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
6x BB is standard behind 2 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I screwed that up.

here are my other thoughts:

flop: I slightly overbet the pot. I guess betting 3/4 of the pot accomplishes the same goals, and keeps the pot smaller. any thought to checking the flop?

turn: if he flopped a set or 2 pair - he's calling regardless. if he's on a draw, I can't give him a free card. by pushing, I give him incorrect odds to continue. if I check - and he did flop a monster - I'm going to have to make make a real ugly river decision.

anyway, results in white:

<font color="white"> villian shows 7c8c, for the flopped straight draw, which he hit n the turn. I pushed drawing dead </font>